Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2022 05:00

S3220DGF, volume control

Dell S3220DGF

Dell S3220DGF

Dell S3220DGF Menu- Audio volume control button is not working. Configuration is Windows 10 computer connected via DP cable, also Fire TV connected via HDMI 2 input. 3.5 audio cable out from the S3220DGF to external speaker.

When I try adjusting the volume via the S3220DGF Menu- Audio volume control buttons, it has no effect on the volume coming from the speaker. The only way to adjust the volume is either though the computer software or directly adjusting the speaker volume button.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

40 Posts

August 8th, 2022 22:00

To access it, open the Control Panel, and go to Hardware and Sound. Then, in the Sound section, click or tap the “Adjust system volume” link. Use the Volume Mixer window that pops up to set the desired sound level for the speakers, system sounds, or any open Windows apps

Regards,

Will

5 Posts

August 5th, 2022 06:00

Hi Chris yes the 3.5 audio cable is connected to the Audio line out
port No 7 in the user guide. Dell sent a replacement monitor this morning unfortunately it has the same behaviour. The on-screen volume buttons have no effect on the volume going to the external speaker. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

August 5th, 2022 06:00

To receive assistance, click the DELL-Cares username. On the resulting page, click "Send this user a private message" and share your private Dell Service Tag with them. Or you may click the "Get help now" on the right to Chat with Dell agents.

Verify that you are connecting to the #7 Audio line out port and NOT to the #11 Headphone out port? S3220DGF Online User's Guide pages 12/13.

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

August 5th, 2022 13:00

On each source device, did you enter the Sound settings and select the S3220DGF as the default Output device?

5 Posts

August 6th, 2022 06:00

Hi Chris
Computer audio output is set to S3220DGF (Nvidia High Definition Audio) Nvidia graphics card connected to the monitor via a display port cable. All other audio output devices on the computer have been disabled by myself.

When I unplug the display cable from the monitor, and just use the amazon fire stick which is plugged directly into the HDMI port 2. The volume buttons still fail to have any effect on the actual volume going to the external speaker.

I wonder if the on screen volume controls are a legacy left over from monitors which have internal speakers.

Thanks for your help BTW

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

August 7th, 2022 06:00

Using the same computer audio output settings, connect headphones to the #11 Headphone out port. Start music, do you hear it? Does adjusting the S3220DGF Menu- Audio volume control buttons change the volume level?

5 Posts

August 8th, 2022 03:00

Hi Chris,

Using headphones in the # 11 audio out port, using the same audio setting and adjusting the S3220DGF Menu Audio volume level does control the volume going to headphones.

I guess the output from the #7 Audio line out port is not adjustable internally and must be altered using the external speakers volume setting.

Maybe a paragraph in the user guide explaining this might have been a good idea?

Thank you Chris for all your help and advice your a star.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2022 01:00

Thanks for the advice Will, it was most helpful

Best Wishes

David

No Events found!