Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

December 30th, 2021 04:00

non OEM battery, bypass the check in Dell XPS 13 9360 "not identifiable"

Hello, per EU right to repair law enacted in 2021, I'd like to know how to bypass the check of whatever is preventing the charging IC from charging the battery, or if you have a BIOS firmware that on a program level allows to do it - that'd be great as well.

I have two perfectly working batteries that are identical to my old, obsolete Dell battery, yet because they weren't manufactured by Dell I can't use them in the Dell XPS 13 laptop. Unfair, I also bought this laptop about 7 years ago, so no warranty anyways.

I also have a background in EE, so I can make any manipulations with the circuitry, just let me know which IC is responsible for the genuine test of batteries.

Screenshot of the error message in BIOS.

"WARNING: An installed battery is not identifiable and this system will not charge this battery pack. Using an incompatible battery or a third party battery may increase the risk of fire or explosion.

Only Dell batteries should be used in Dell computers, and Dell batteries can only be purchased through Dell.

Battery wear may not be covered by your warranty."

Also, the laptop's LED keeps flashing yellow. But if I unplug the main AC power, then the laptop keeps being powered on by the non-OEM battery (it has some initial charge).

I'm willing to assume all the risks with repair, given that my old laptop is already too old, and is void of warranty.

10 Elder

• 

24.1K Posts

December 30th, 2021 07:00

Whatever detection there is, is in the firmware -- you'd need to identify the loop and rewrite the firmware.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2021 21:00

Firmware somehow needs to know whether connected battery is OEM or not.

So the battery must be sending some sort of "correct" signal for this, no?

Maybe through one of the wires that the battery connects to the motherboard?

10 Elder

• 

24.1K Posts

December 31st, 2021 04:00

There would have to be some communication between the logic board on the battery and the system firmware, yes -- but disconnecting that line won't solve the problem.  Only a firmware modification would.

Since there are batteries from third parties that do work, presumably some manufacturers have solved the problem by including the necessary support for the battery detection.  Others haven't -- the third party battery marketplace is a wild west with products running the gamut of excellent down to abject, dangerous junk.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2022 07:00

Hi there

I have just bought a non Dell battery for my XPS 9360, and having the exact same issue as you mentioned here.

I've updated the BIOS as per a suggestion I saw, but no dice. Did you manage to get this fixed?

Image (1).jpegImage.jpeg

No Events found!