Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 23rd, 2020 17:00

Problems with the Legacy Edge browser

I don't know if this problem is specific to me, but my Windows Edge legacy browser version 44.x is giving me a lot of grief. Very slow to open, and many "Hmmm...can’t reach this page" notices. I have resisted updating to the latest Edge based on chromium, but to me it appears MS has deprecated the legacy Edge, much as it did with IE. My Pale Moon and Firefox browsers work well.

I'm tempted to abandon all MS browsers. Can anyone tell me any benefits of the newest Edge browser? I feel I'm being bullied by MS.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 24th, 2020 03:00

I gave Legacy Edge a try on my systems, and was pleased with it.    I then opted for Edge Chromium, and have continued to be happy with its performance... so much so that I use it as my default browser.

It seems to me that between Chrome itself, and other Chromium-based browsers (in particular, EDGE), portions of the web are now being written for a "best when viewed via Chromium" experience.   For example, I took an online course which didn't display properly in FF and PM... at which point I had to (at least temporarily) switch to a chromium browser.   As such, I think it prudent that you have a Chromium option available to you, should you ever (suddenly) find the need for it.   Just because you have it installed/available on your system doesn't mean you HAVE to use it... [Of course, it will continue to receive updates "in the background"... but I've never noticed that to be a problem.]

One quick comparison:   I find FF very slow to load/start... by far the slowest of my browsers.   Perhaps it's due to some of my add-ons?   Regardless, EDGE is the fastest to load/start for me.   But, to quote you:   YMMV.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

June 24th, 2020 12:00

@joe53  - Have you cleared Edge's cache, cookies, history, etc recently?  Other recommendations to fix slow Edge here.

And some claim disabling Flash in Edge's Advanced settings helps with speed issues too.

YRMV! 

No Events found!