Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 10:00

P2719H, second, cannot change resolution

I have a new Latitude 5410 with WD19 dock. Monitor 1 is a ViewSonic XG2700-4K using DP. Monitor 2 is Dell P2719H using DP. When I extend these displays, I can have 1080P on monitor 1 but monitor 2 will only do 800 x 600. The display resolution drop down menu is gray so can not choose another resolutions. When I go into Advanced display setting and click on Display adapter properties for Display 2 and click List All Mode there is only 640 x 480 and 800 X600.

I have run the Dell Command Update and updated on the drives.

Dell tech has already to site and replaced the motherboard.

Now what do I try?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

@WheelsQ107  The Latitude 5410 supports DisplayPort HBR2 over USB-C. When the USB-C port is also configured to run USB 3.x data, as the WD19 will configure it to do, that type of system only provides enough video bandwidth for dual displays up to 1920x1200 each or a single display at either QHD 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz. It can’t even run your ViewSonic at its native 60 Hz even if that was the only display attached. Even if your system supported the newer DisplayPort HBR3 standard, that’s enough for dual QHD or single 4K 60 Hz, so even that wouldn’t be enough.

If you want to run your display setup properly, you’ll need Thunderbolt 3, which is optional on that model. And if you have that, you’d need a Thunderbolt dock like the WD19TB, not the regular WD19. And when using a 4K 60 Hz display and anything else, one of the displays will need to be connected to the downstream TB3 port on the WD19TB, using a USB-C to DP adapter/cable if needed. This port is not to be confused with the USB-C port near the HDMI output, and this port does not exist on the regular WD19.

Display setup options are all summarized in the User Guides of these docks, FYI. You can find those at support.dell.com. They’re a useful resource to consult when equipment isn’t behaving as expected.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 4th, 2021 11:00

@WheelsQ107  Quick additional note. If you’re really ok running your 4K display at 1080p, then your issue is likely that changing resolutions in Windows Display Settings is only changing the desktop (render) resolution, not the active signal resolution, and therefore you’re not freeing up any video bandwidth by dropping the resolution. Try setting your resolution and refresh rates in Intel Graphics Control Panel (or Command Center, depending on driver version).

No Events found!