Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2012 19:00

can i add RAM externaly?

hey, i have a dell inspiron 15R N5010 laptop. it has 4 gb RAM. i want to add 2-4gb of RAM to it- BUT i WANT IT EXTERNALY! i dont want to have to open it all up because it is only one panel, and i dont want to have to send it in to a shop for 2-3 weeks because i cant really live without my laptop, and i spent alot of savings on it and i dont like other people handleing it.- i dont even let my parents on it! (barely)

p.s. one main reason of this is because of minecraft, if you know what it is, if you dont, google/youtube it.

and with minecraft i go to 60% of RAM use and it starts laging, but everything else i have works just fine

what do i do? im not sure. someone please help me!

-annoyed, yet slightly confused, Bryce

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

March 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi Bryce,

Welcome to the Community. As such there is no way to add RAM externally to the system. Inspiron™ N5010 / 15R system supports dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM with memory speeds of 1333 MHz. At 1333 MHz, this memory offers a significant increase of memory performance over previous platforms.The memory solution is implemented in a dual-channel configuration, allowing the system to have twice the memory bandwidth while using the same memory technology.

Memory modules must be installed as a perfectly matched pair to take advantage of the dual-channel memory bus. If not a matched pair, the system's memory bus operates in a single-channel configuration.

Inspiron™ N5010 / 15R has two user-accessible SODIMM sockets, both slots can be accessed after removing the base cover. Basically, when both DIMM connectors are populated, the system has optimum dual-channel performance unless channels A and B have different amounts of memory.

If your system has 4 GB of RAM,it means it has two RAM modules of 2GB each.So if you want to upgrade RAM, you would have to get two RAM modules of 4 GB each  and let go of the old RAM modules,to get the maximum memory bandwidth using the dual-channel memory bus.

On your system model replacing the RAM is not very difficult.For help to remove/replace memory use the link below:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan.

124 Posts

March 9th, 2012 21:00

so.. i cant just get a 4gb one to have a 2gb and a 4gb for a total of 6gb? and that sucks. its like 50 bucks each for 4gb. or is there some deal on dell that they send u the new pair and then you send them the old ones and then you get like a discount?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

March 10th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

You can get 4 Gb  and add this to one of the slots to get total of  6 GB RAM. However as i mentioned about the dual-channel configuration on this system model,if you have different sizes of memory installed in two different slots,it will operate on single-channel configuration,hence you wont see much change in the performance of the system even after upgrading the RAM.

Memory modules must be installed as a perfectly matched pair to take advantage of the dual-channel memory bus. If not a matched pair, the system's memory bus operates in a single-channel configuration.

Dell does not offer any deal where you can get a discount by sending in your old memory module.

You can check the link below for more information on the 4 Gb memory module compatible to your system:

Thank You

Roshan

4.4K Posts

March 11th, 2012 19:00

If you go to crucial.com, you can get 8GB for $50 USD.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%2015R&Cat=RAM

Crucial will guarantee that the memory will work.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 20:00

Go with what bay wolf said though, crucial is amazing. I just upgraded my other dell, N5110 with crucial 8 GB dual channel. Go to crucial, click the drop down menu, find the tab that says scan my system or choose it yourself. And it will tell you exactly what's compatible.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2012 20:00

Yes, you may get a 2GB and one 4GB. They just have to be an exact pair, Siam technology and so forth. I have it in my system. Work like a dream.

124 Posts

March 11th, 2012 23:00

thanks, i might just do that im amazed at the price

No Events found!