Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

May 26th, 2004 17:00

Lexar USB Elite JumpDrive problems

Can anyone help to resolve my problem with this USB jumpdrive.  I bought this Lexar Elite Jumpdrive which is supposed to work with Window XP.  When I plug this on my my main USB  slot, the Window XP does not recognize the hardware at all.   Their web site said there was no need for any drivers for XP.  Also, the computer does not even recognize the presence of a new hardware?

Regards,

James Li

May 26th, 2004 17:00

blueberrycricket wrote:

Can anyone help to resolve my problem with this USB jumpdrive.  I bought this Lexar Elite Jumpdrive which is supposed to work with Window XP.  When I plug this on my my main USB  slot, the Window XP does not recognize the hardware at all.

Snap!!  I bought the JumpDrive 2.0 Pro and received the same result.  If anyone has the answer I to would like to know.

Also how can I run it with Windows98 Second Edition on a Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop.

Many thanks

2.2K Posts

May 26th, 2004 20:00

All,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

I really do not have any help to offer on the Lexar Jump Drive, but you should check to make sure that your USB ports work with other devices.  If your ports work with other devices, then I would suggest that you contact Lexar.  If your ports do not work with other devices, then you have a hardware or software problem that I can help you track down.

I have tried one Lexar Jump drive on a Dell desktop system, and Windows XP recognized it and installed the drivers without any help, or prompting.  I do not have an explanation for why it is not working on your portable, but you should definitely test the USB ports.

229 Posts

June 1st, 2004 02:00

Update XP to SP1 if you haven't done so already.  Go to device manager and update your drivers for your USB Controllers, let windows search for the best drivers.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2004 00:00

I have a Lexar 256 Mb USB 2 JumpDrive (JDA256-00-501). It is not recognized by Windows 2000 on my Inspiron 8200.  However, if I use a USB extension cable everything is fine. The problem is that the case of the JumpDrive clashes with the laptop USB portholes preventing full insertion.

July 10th, 2004 00:00

Yup you nailed it...I just bought a Lexar Jumpdrive 256 Meg USB flash, plugged into FRONT panel

USB ports on my Dell Dimension 4600...Window's XP never saw anything, so i plugged into the REAR

panel USB ports..works fine.  Compared it to a working IBM 256 Meg USB flash that works in the front

port, and the plastic Lexar housing covers up too much of the USB connector, so it wont insert correctly

in the FRONT USB ports...who would've thought they would screw that up ???

2 Posts

July 10th, 2004 02:00

I "fixed" it by grinding down the plastic a bit with my dremel.

25 Posts

July 28th, 2004 15:00

Yup. I found the same problem and the same answer. I don't know who's fault it is, but sanding down the plastic shaft by 1mm is enough to solve the problem.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2004 21:00

Wow, you all saved me a lot of time.  I couldn't get it to work on both 4600 computers, and I thought that maybe the ports were not turned on.  In any event, the dremmel quickly took down a little of the plastic housing.  I tried it  and presto, it worked! 

1 Message

September 29th, 2004 21:00

DArvidson... you're a smart guy!

Thanks for your solution.

Mr. Eeo

November 19th, 2004 23:00

Yes, the problem is that the jumpstart does not go far enough into the socket!

One fix is to open the front panel and to remove the bezel around the usb sockets.

Just takes a little prying with a screwdriver!

Dick

4 Posts

December 15th, 2004 16:00

@blueberrycricket wrote:

Can anyone help to resolve my problem with this USB jumpdrive. I bought this Lexar Elite Jumpdrive which is supposed to work with Window XP. When I plug this on my my main USB slot, the Window XP does not recognize the hardware at all. Their web site said there was no need for any drivers for XP. Also, the computer does not even recognize the presence of a new hardware?

Regards,

James Li

That may work for that model of Inspiron, but I have this problem with my Latitude D800 and I know other people who have it as well. I am using an extension cable so the socket is not a problem for the LEXAR. It works fine with other brands of thumbdrive all except the LEXAR. I have also tried plugging a USB HUB into my laptop.
All the other thumbdrives in the office work fine but not LEXAR/DELL Laptop.
We sent the LEXAR back and got a different brand and no problems.
THis Window 2000/SP4 with the LEXAR JumpDrive Secure model. Its LEXAR.

1 Message

December 21st, 2004 21:00

If you right click you my computer icon and choose Manage and go to disk management, assign your Lexar media there a new drive letter. This seems to work fine and is some problem usually with Windows having network drives already assigned

2 Posts

July 29th, 2011 14:00

crynative, This solved my problem - THANK YOU!  I have been looking for days, and this is exactly what I needed.  I had a mapped network drive for D:\,and the system had assigned D:\ to the Lexar USB drive, no matter which USB port I plugged it into.  :-)

No Events found!