Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2016 22:00

JBL subwoofer sound shuttering / fluttering

I am using XPS 15 L502X laptop. From 1st Jul 2016 my laptop subwoofer starts shuttering. I guess this is after Windows 10 upgrade patch. I tried to revert my patch upgrade but no luck. I guess my drivers are corrupt. 

Please let me know from where can I download its drivers or how to disable this JBL subwoofer? 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 17th, 2016 13:00

XPS 15 L502X laptop

Windows 10

where can I download its drivers

Hello. Dell does not support Windows 8.1 or 10 on the XPS L502x model and cautions that you might lose some functionality if you do run Win10. There is no Dell-provided audio driver for your laptop with Windows 10.

However you should be able to install the Realtek audio driver for Windows 8 with no problem.

If there is a problem, try to install the driver with Compatibility mode:

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive. 
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for Win8.

how to disable this JBL subwoofer

I don't know if there is a way on your model or not. In one of the other threads that you posted on today, one of the moderators had posted an earlier reply saying that there is no way to disable. You could look through the BIOS settings. At last resort you could physically disconnect the speaker.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2016 10:00

Thanks for your reply and sorry for delay response. 

There is no option in BIOS to disable JBL subwoofer and there is no change after installing the drivers which you have suggested. Thanks for your help. I think Dell should provide drivers for this model for Windows 10.

Shall I uninstall Windows 10 and install Windows 7 to get supported drivers from Dell?  

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 31st, 2016 05:00

Shall I uninstall Windows 10 and install Windows 7 to get supported drivers from Dell?  

If you install Windows 7 and then install the "supported driver", it will be the same driver you have right now -- the one you installed with compatibility mode.

You had the woofer issue when you were using the Windows native audio driver, and you still have the issue while using the Realtek driver. It is improbable that both drivers would cause the same symptom at the same time, so you can rule out the audio driver as the cause of the problem.

Over the years we have received a lot of posts about failure of the JBL speakers. If you don't hear the noise through headphones, then probably speaker failure.

I think Dell should provide drivers for this model for Windows 10.

I can see it from your point of view, but I also can understand it from Dell's. It's odd that consumers don't demand that Microsoft pay for the drivers that its operating system needs, instead of blaming Dell. After all, it is Microsoft that gets the profits from its new products, and it is the consumers that get the benefit, if any, from the product, but who choose to ignore Dell's warning that there are not drivers for it

Having said that, you can download a generic Realtek Win10 audio driver from the Realtek website.

1.Go to the Realtek downloads selection page. www.realtek.com.tw/.../
2. On the page click on "High Definition Audio Codecs".
3. Check "I accept" and then "next".
4. (optional) In the column named "Description" find the file named README and download it. That has the instructions for installing or updating.
5. In the column named "Description" select your operating system and whether it is 32bits or 64bits from the top 2 choices in the list.
6. In the column named "Download" click on one of the server names to download the driver.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for your reply. I tried all the drivers but no luck.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 27th, 2017 04:00

We have received a lot of posts about woofer failure on that model, so if you don't hear the problem in the headphones the speaker probably needs replacement.

No Events found!