Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

52 Posts

June 10th, 2004 20:00

How do you plug the laptop into a wall or car outlet?

I looked at the laptop, and I don’t see somewhere that you can plug an AC outlet into. Do I need a special battery or something? Because I like to take the battery out when i'm close to an outlet, so it isn’t as heavy on my lap. Since I will be using it on trips, how much will it drain the battery in my car? Will I notice the lights get dimmer or the car go slower?

Message Edited by Realphx on 06-10-2004 05:08 PM

52 Posts

June 10th, 2004 21:00

Is that alot of drain on the car battery? Also can i get a adapter for a car outlet from the dell store? i cant find it anywhere.

Message Edited by Realphx on 06-10-2004 05:24 PM

21 Posts

wall without battery in? same as always, nothing special about that.

Car? need a DC to AC inverter. it will give you a standard 120V outlet with the wattage shown on the packaging (within about.. 20 watts)

2.6K Posts

There is a round hole in the back.

21 Posts

June 10th, 2004 22:00

First you need to figure out what you laptops wattage draw is (how much wattage it takes), then buy a adapter capable of handling it. Best Buy, Circuit City, ect would have these. as well as buy.com, amazon.com, and lesser known other webstores.

2.6K Posts

June 11th, 2004 00:00

It could impact the battery on your car, but you'd have to leave it charging forever. It would never affect the speed of your car.

21 Posts

June 11th, 2004 02:00

while your car is running it would not affect the battery (your alternator provides around 100 amps in most cars.)

if its off.. depending on the wattage drawn it could take days or hours.

affect the speed? Not likley. the unit doesn't draw near that amount of power. you would need to eat up serious amps before it affected  your engine. the only effect it would have is weaking the spark that detonates/ignites the gas in the chamber. wouldn't get a full burn and you would lose power. again no laptop could manage this. guys with stereo systems drawing upwards of 90 amps upgrade their alternator to prevent this, and also use caps, ect to cover even more power usage.

also the rating on the laptops powerblock is the MAX it uses. which can usually be expected to be close to what is used during charging and useage of the laptop while the battery is at less than 100%. when batt is at 100% the powerblock uses less power because now it only needs to run the laptop and trickle(extreamly light charge) charge the battery.

Lol.. silly censorship system the action of inhailing is hardley a offensive word in 99% of usages.

No Events found!