Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2013 14:00

HELP! Lost all icons and my Task Bar on my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 1420)!

Hello - I lost all my icons on my desktop and cannot see the Task Bar on the bottom of my screen.  I tried to right-click on the desktop and now the menu does not display.  I am unable to do anything!  PLEASE HELP!

Here are the last steps that I did prior to this problem:

1.  Right-clicked on the falsh drive icon located ot the bottom right side of the screen.

2.  Window displayed and I selected to safely remove flash drive.

3.  I clicked on Advance (I think) or Current Tasks Processing/Running. 

4.  I clicke dont the button that said "End Process/Task"

Result:  The screen refreshed and all of my icons, folders, and even the Task Bar with the Start Menu has been removed.

If there's anybody who can help me, I'd be forever GRATEFUL!  :D

Thank you!

Marlo

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2013 16:00

Attempt last good known configuration see here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration 

In your case shut down by holding down the power button.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

February 7th, 2013 20:00

Hi Marlo,

Please run this Microsoft Fixit to optimize the system performance:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/

Please check after running this fixit and revert for further assistance.

7 Posts

February 9th, 2013 10:00

I have an error message on my screen that says, "The file directory C:\Users\minfnate\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content is corrupt and unreadable.  Please run the Chkdsk utility.  

The only proble is that I cannot access my Start Menu which displays the "Run" field to run Chkdsk utility.

Please help Sujatha!  (Cool name BTW) :)

Marlo

7 Posts

February 9th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for the repsonse but I dont think the "fix it" solution will work.  The "fix it" solution, says it only restores "short cut" icons.  I didn't just lose short cuts icons; I lost all data, file folders, and even my Start Menu button doesn't display anymore at the bottom of my screen.  My task Bar is also gone and when I right click on the desktop background, no menu is displayed.   I'm afraid if I click on the "fix it" button it will wipe out all my work, pictures, etc..that I cannot see right now.  Please advise.  

Thanks so much!

Marlo

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

February 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi Marlo,

Please press together Windows key and letter R on the key to display ‘Run’. Please reply with the status after running ‘Chkdsk Utility’ for further assistance

7 Posts

February 12th, 2013 16:00

Hello Sujatha,

Thank you for the tip.  I tried it several times and it did not display the RUN field.  Any other advice?

Quick update:  When I'm online and I click a Browse button to upload, for example my resume, I am able to see all my folders, documents, etc just like how they looked on my desktop.  This is reaasuring so at least I know it's not deleted.  It's just not accessible from the desktop.   I'm too afraid to run the "Fix It" or F12 suggested solutions, thinking I may do worse to my laptop.  

Thank you again so much for your time and expertise!

Marlo

7 Posts

February 15th, 2013 08:00

YOU ARE A GENIUS,NATAKUC4 !!!! 

This "last-known-good-config" worked!!!!!  OMG you saved all my data, pictures and apps.  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! :D

Marlo

1 Message

June 17th, 2014 08:00

Hello, Iam only a ten year old kid, an actually faked my age to solve your question, but I am going to delete this account later. I have experienced this before, you might have accidentally went to the task manager and clicked end process for explorer.exe, user under your name, so to fix that, you have to restart the computer( (Turn off wait 1 minute then turn on again). If that does not work, please approach Dell for help. 

Thank You! Hope this worked.

No Events found!