Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2011 08:00

Desktop icons not displaying

Hi!

Hoping someone can help me, please???

I have an Inspiron N5010 that I bought in November.

Today when I booted up, the icons did not display on the desktop.  The docking bar icon across the top is there, but not the program icons I usually have on my screen. :(

Thoughts??  Solutions??

Thanks to all in advance!!!

Tricia

904 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 09:00

Tricia

At this point i can only say that the icons might have been deleted. Have you tried restarting the system?

At times if the user profile is not loaded properly can cause the desktop items to disappear, restarting the system would def bring them back.

Check this location once C:\Users\(Your username)\Desktop

4 Posts

Thanks for responding! :)

Yes, it is already checked. :(  

Just to see if it would "add" an icon to the desktop, I tried dragging a program and it DID take it.  So, I'm trying to figure out - what happened to all my other icons???

Thanks again - any other thoughts/suggestions?

Tricia

904 Posts

Hi Tricia

Welcome to Dell Community.

Lets first check if the desktop icons are disabled. Right click anywhere on the desktop and go to 'view', have attached a screenshot so it becomes easier.

As you can see there are options like 'Show desktop icons' which needs to be checked. If not click on it.

Do let me know if this has solved the problem.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 10:00

Telson,

Thanks.  I just have no idea HOW they could have been deleted. :(   I've rebooted several times to no avail.

I did check the location - nothing there.  However, I pulled out my external drive that I use for backups.  The "Public" user on the backup shows my icons but the Tricia user has nothing.  Is it possible the system was using the Public user settings?  Currently there is nothing in the Public User desktop setting on the laptop either.

Would it be safe to copy the Public Desktop from the backup drive to the Tricia Desktop on my laptop?

Thanks!

904 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 11:00

Tricia

It could have been possible.

Yes you can copy the icons, however only copy the icons and not the folder it should work fine.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 12:00

Telson,

Thank you SO much for ALL of your help!!!  Sure appreciated!! :)

Tricia

904 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 07:00

Tricia

You are most welcome.Feel free to post anyy issues you have on the community.

No Events found!