Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 7th, 2017 13:00

Alienware 17/R4 Multiple Displays

Can the Alienware 17 R4 +Win10 Pro drive 3 separate and extended display panels (not including the laptop display panel)? I see it has 3 ports: HDMI, Displayport, and Thunderbolt 3. Should I convert Thunderbolt 3 to Displayport? or use a thunderbolt 3 dock?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 10th, 2017 11:00

Hi slashtmp‌,

Yes, the 17r4 will probably work with the 3 extended displays, but the computer screen may not show display. Also, keep on mind that the Thunderbolt 3 works with the Intel card and not with the Nvidia.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 10th, 2017 13:00

Sounds like you need a desktop with a nice video card that has 3 Display-Ports.

I assume you are talking about Extending the Windows-10 Desktop over 3 monitors concurrently. Trying to game on 3 screens at once (with acceptable FPS) will take even more planning (of course, depending on what games you plan to play).

2 Posts

July 11th, 2017 13:00

This may no help much but i have the same issue.  I was told before purchasing this laptop from the dell service rep that it could handle 3 external monitors as it has a thrunderbolt out, hdmi out, and a mini display out.  I just bought 3 different cables with the above mentioned ports all to displayport on the other end and the laptop only recognizes one external display. 

So is this not an option as the rep told me it was?  Also, what do you mean that thunderport 3 doesn't work with nvidia?

This is a work computer so i have no intention on gaming.  I just wanted the laptop monitor and 3 different monitors to go along with this.  All separate displays.

If there is another option, please let me know.  I was thinking of a thunderbolt to 2-display option but if that doesn't work with nvidia then i don't know what else to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

1 Message

July 23rd, 2017 18:00

Aleinware-Eimy,  I am attempting to connect by AW 15 R3 to my dell S2716DG using the mini display adapter to display adapter connection on my monitor.  However, it is not working.  Any suggestions?

2 Posts

July 24th, 2017 05:00

I'm going with the Thunderbolt dock. Below link says it supports 3 displays: 1 HDMI and 2 displayport

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-240w/apd/452-bcnu/pc-accessories/

2 Posts

July 24th, 2017 06:00

Awesome.  looked everywhere for something like that and couldnt find one.  I ended up buying 3 dell u2917w and daisy chained them through the DisplayPorts using the mini DisplayPort out on the back of the alienware.   Any monitor should work as long as it supports MST. Has been working smoothly so far.  Granted it has only been 3 days so time will tell. I still have to connect a power cable, Ethernet cable, the mini DisplayPort, and a usb hub every time I come into work but not that big of a deal.

Let me know if that works for you.

3 Posts

November 24th, 2017 21:00

Yes the 15 inch r4 can. I use mini DP, HDMI and the rear TB3 port. Two monitors are doing 4k and the other 1080 - plus the laptop screen at 1080 too. Now i just have to tidy up the cable management with a TB3. Im using high end Prem Pro and After Effects and nothing is lagging.  The monitors are 30 inch Dells.

Has anyone used the Dell TB3 dock?

setupdock. 

3 Posts

November 24th, 2017 21:00

Did that Dell TB3 dock solution work - running three monitors?

No Events found!