Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2010 01:00

windows xp professional licence key-problem

hello everyone!

i have got a problem with my windows xp pro installation..

well i wanted to install windows xp pro on my notebook(dell latitude d810) which i bought some years ago..i also own a windows xp professional licence key, of course.

the first problem was that i have not got a windows xp setup-cd, so i borrowed a cd(not an dell-setup cd) in order to install it on my notebook, and of course i wanted to use my licence key.

but in the setup of windows xp professional, the setup did not accept my licence key?! i could use another licence key, but that would be illegal, so i did not do that, of course^^

but i read on the internet that one can change the product key AFTER the installation..so i thought that in the installation, i use another key, but then using the tool from microsoft in order to change the product key to my own licence key..but i am not sure if that will work.

so i wanted to ask you if it will work when i first install with another licence key and after the installation i change the licence key to my own immediately?

or do i have to use a specific windows xp professional setup-cd in order to use my own licence key?

i hope you can help me.

see you=)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 03:00

On RETAL (non-Dell OEM) copies of Windows XP the Product Key is only associated with the specific disc.  You can't use the disc to install and use a different product key.  If the disc has already been used and the product key activated with Microsoft (and the PC is still active) that eliminates that disc for (legal) installation.

The Dell product key is only associated with a Dell Windows XP disc and the disc must be the same XP version and Service Pack.  However, on a Dell disc you should not need the product key to install with a Dell disc.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 04:00

ok thanks..

so in order to use my product key in a legal way, i have to get any dell windows xp disk with the same xp version and service pack(in my case it is windows xp pro with service pack 2).

hmm..would it be possible that i can ask dell to send me one windows xp disk service pack 2? i mean i purchased this dell laptop some years ago, but there was not even a recovery disk, just windows pre-installed and that product key..^^

see you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 04:00

HERE is the Dell replacement order form.  There are some restrictions so you may or may not be eligible for the free discs.  If you are not elibible you will have to bite the bullet and buy a copy of Windows.  You can buy "OEM" versions which are less expensive than full Retail versions.  Check www.newegg.com

288 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 05:00

To make a long story short; there are three flavours of of Windows xp pro serial keys you need to be concerned about. The versions are VLK, retail and Oem. The VLK is a volume licence key issued to corporations who have many systems to install and all use the same key. The retail key allows the user to reactivate the WXP system any number of times and allows it to be transfered to other systems as you upgrade. Of course you must uninstall it from the previous system as it can only be active on one system at a time. THe last is oem and this is provided to system builders and is locked to the original system to which it was originally installed on. All systems have unique serial keys to go with each version ie. a serial key for VLK will not activate on a retail edition cd. You have several options depending on your situation. If you have a serial number for WXP Pro on your case then you can install using an oem cd and use the Dell serial number as noted on the case. If you own a key to a retail package then you need to obtain a retail edition cd and load from that. Good Luck.

September 28th, 2013 15:00

Just request some disc https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?DoNotRedirect=y 

If you're not accepted just use any Windows XP Pro OEM disc, the service pack doesn't matter. And it doesn't matter if it's Dell, HP, or from a OEM per-installation kit. It just has to be a OEM disc.

No Events found!