Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

December 28th, 2005 11:00

Flash/travel drive

Does either Memorex 1 gb Travel Drive or Lexor 1 gb Flash Drive need a program installed in the pc using it in order to function?
I read Memorex and it seemed to say it did but my son has Lexor and says he has simply used it in three pcs w/o any special software installed.
I'd get one if you could just plug it into a usb port and use like any portable media.

2.2K Posts

December 28th, 2005 20:00

I just recently obtained a Lexar JumpDrive Secure. It came with some software, but I didn't install it. I've had no problems using it with XP, although my notebook is an older model and the flash drive isn't recognized if left in during a re-boot. When I remove it and plug it in again, all is fine.

GM

2.5K Posts

December 28th, 2005 21:00

Some of the drives come with software to encrypt the data or restrict access to the drives for security.  If you don't need that feature, just plug it in and go.

Dave

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

December 29th, 2005 00:00

The JumpDrive Secure comes with software allowing you to create and access a password protected partition on the flash drive. It also allows you to set a few other things too. The software was a royal pain in the @#$%^! on my 8400 and I had to uninstall it. You don't need it, unless you're using the secure partition, because XP has suitable drivers built in. So unless you need a secure drive, you don't have to spend the extra money that one like this costs.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 12-28-2005 06:49 PM

369 Posts

December 29th, 2005 13:00

I just wanted to thank you for the info even at the risk of being redundant in the forum-I will get a drive w/o the software as I am not looking for complexity.

369 Posts

December 29th, 2005 13:00

Aha! There had to be a reaon for some of these drives to have software. Thank you.
No Events found!