Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

July 31st, 2021 05:00

S2721Q, connect two via DP?

Hi,

I got two Dell S2721Q monitors which only have one DP (DisplayPort). I am trying to connect them together using a DP to DP cable  and HDMI to HDMI cable.

I am using Surface Pro 4 as main laptop. I connected the Surface Pro 4 to first monitor using mini display port in surface to HDMI cable . Tried to use display port to display port cable and HDMI to HDMI cable from 1st monitor to the 2nd monitor . But 2nd monitor does not recognize any cable .

Need help

Community Manager

• 

54.6K Posts

July 31st, 2021 05:00

The S2721Q/S2721QS monitors do not have a DP OUT port. They have IN ports only (HDMI 1/HDMI 2/DP). So you cannot daisy chain them together.

Each S2721Q will have to connect directly to two different video out ports on the Surface Pro 4.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 7th, 2021 14:00

@Thusit  In order to run a daisy chain, you need displays that support daisy chaining, which involves a dedicated DisplayPort output, which these displays don’t have. To use the ability of a DisplayPort output to run multiple independent displays when you don’t have displays that support daisy chaining, you need a device called an MST hub, which is a box that plugs into a DP, Mini-DP, or USB-C port and gives you multiple video outputs. But the problem here is that I don’t think your system’s Mini-DisplayPort output has enough bandwidth to run dual 4K 60 Hz displays from that single port. That would require DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 support, which I don’t think is available on that system. The Surface Dock 2 can run dual 4K 60 Hz displays, but not when paired with a Surface Pro 4. You need a newer system for that.

And for that matter, even with your Mini-DP to HDMI cable, you might not be getting 4K at the full 60 Hz refresh rate. Typical passive MiniDP to HDMI cables rely on the source port supporting “Dual Mode DispayPort”, which is the ability of that port to switch to native HDMI. That capability is often available, but a MiniDP output that can run 4K 60 Hz via native DP signaling will not necessarily be able to do that when running in HDMI signaling mode. So if you find that you’re only getting 4K 30 Hz or 2560x1440 60 Hz, then you’ll want to get a Mini-DP to DP cable for that one S2721Q instead.

February 21st, 2022 09:00

Hi, I'm trying to understand this thread. I am hoping to run two S2721QS monitors through my new XPX8950, so for example, I can conduct a Teams meeting on one and maybe have a document displayed on the other. Are you saying this cannot be done? Please explain! 

No Events found!