Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

2 Posts

December 7th, 2006 22:00

Dual Monitor Settings Reset When I Reboot - Why?

I have been trying for months to figure out why my new M65 keeps resetting my monitor settings every time I restart my computer. Occasionally it will keep the settings but 95% of the time I have to manually go in and redo the settings. Also my desktop icons do the same thing. If I place them in a particular area of my desktop they also are reset after I restart. Seems to be the same problem on many of my coworkers computers (all DELLS).

My Compaq and HP computers at home do not give me this problem and I run the same OS and software on them as well so I am baffled on how to resolve this aggravation and save me the annoying trouble of having to reset my dual monitor settings and desktop icons every time I restart.

Thanks to anyone with any answers to this question.

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

December 8th, 2006 16:00

Empire895,

Does this occur using all external monitors?

2 Posts

December 8th, 2006 19:00

Yes, all using external monitors... our DELL M65's at work use a flatscreen DELL monitor.

After talking with all our other users who have the same config, they all experience the same problem when restarting the computer, all monitor and desktop setting reset back to default settings.

So specifically we must reconfigure the deisplay properties each day, activate the external minitor, drag it to the left side so it matches our monitor layout, then redrag the desktop icons and arrange them back the way we had them the previous day.  Very annoying. 

The odd thing is like I said, there are days when the setting remain but 95% of the time you are back at square one the next day and must spend 15 minutes or so changing the monitor and desktop.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully you might point me in the right direction to get this important issue resolved for all of us.

Thanks again!

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

December 9th, 2006 00:00

Empire895,

Since the issue does not occur with the Compaq and HP PCs, it must be specific to the Precision M65s. Repost your question on the Portable Videoboard. Hopefully, other Precision M65 owners will chime in.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2007 14:00

My D820 is experiencing the same problem with dual flat panels. When I first got the laptop it wasn't an issue. I ordered another one (identical config) a couple of months later for a coworker and she immediately let me know that she has to reset her settings every morning. We both have the Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M video card. Her laptop came with driver version 83.13. I upgraded my driver to 84.25 (not sure if I had 83.13 or not) from laptopvideo2g0.com to see if that would resolve the dual monitor settings but mine started doing it as well. I've even tried a couple of newer drivers from the site but they would blue screen, so I rolled back to 84.25. It only happens either after a reboot or shutting down the machine at night (either full shut down or hibernate) and booting up at home. The next morning, when the machine is docked, the settings are back to a "default" state.

I have looked all over the forums for a resolution but can't find anything. In December I ordered a D620 for our president and he's mentioned that on occasion his icons rearrange themselves from his settings. I haven't looked at it too much yet.

Message Edited by sully35 on 03-17-2007 09:05 PM

3 Posts

March 20th, 2007 20:00

I've just resolved the Dual Display issue on my boss' Latitude D620 by downloading the new drivers for the NVidia Quadro 110M v84.69.  The icons still move around when docking and un-docking, but the Dual Display settings remain through reboots and undocking.

1 Message

April 6th, 2007 18:00

I downloaded the 84.69 drivers from Nvidia but Setup indicates there isn't a compatible card installed. I tried digging through the INF files without success. Did anyone find a way to get ver. 84.69 loaded?

3 Posts

April 6th, 2007 19:00

No Events found!