Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2020 13:00

Audio output not working or intermittant on 7790 AIO??

I have a new 7790 all in one.  There is a single audio out jack on back but when no sound from external speakers when plugged in.  I can see audio output happening in Maxx audio app and volume mixer, but no sound.  Unplugging and then there is sound from the speakers built in to monitor. 

At first, external speakers worked but then stopped.  They were old anyway so bought new ones but now no sound at all through this jack.  Maxx confirms external speakers vs internal speakers in the app but no go.  Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

December 19th, 2021 12:00

@DaveHF  - Have you confirmed the speakers/headphones are plugged into the audio output jack on rear of PC? Can you test a different audio output device on this PC or test this output device on another PC to rule it out as the problem?

Did you check all the Windows audio output settings to make sure the correct output device is selected, and did you configure Waves MaxxAudio correctly, as I posted earlier in this thread? Note: You have to set the volume correctly, both in the Windows audio settings and at the bottom of the Playback screen in Waves MaxxAudio, too. All of that needs to be done for audio output.

If you click the sound test button at bottom of the Waves Playback screen do you hear anything from your external speakers/headphones?

Also, open Device Manager and click View>Show hidden devices. Then expand all entries in DM and look for anything marked with a ! or named "Unknown". If any is marked with !, look to see what error message is shown in the Device Status box on the General tab when you open that entry in DM.

If you see an "Unknown", right click and uninstall it. Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes and see if anything new gets added to the list in DM. Then reboot and test audio again, making sure all your Windows and Waves settings are correct.

1 Message

September 13th, 2020 07:00

I am having the same problem.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 13th, 2020 07:00

New and in warranty it is usually best to call Dell support.  If there is a hardware issue only Dell support can get it resolved under warranty.  We can't do that on this forum.

However, a couple of things to check/do.

1. Go to the Settings/System/Sound.  Make sure "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)" is set as the Output Device.

2. If the output device is set correctly, refresh the Realtek sound by going to Device Manager, Sound Video and Game Controllers section. RIGHT click on the Realtek entry and then LEFT click "Uninstall".  DO NOT uninstall the drivers.  Restart the PC and when Windows starts it will reinstall (refresh) the Realtek.    If this does not help the next step is Dell support.

35 Posts

September 13th, 2020 10:00

Interesting that more than one of us having same problem.  I tried plugging in other devices including a phone headset w/the TRSS (3 sections) and still no go.  Also verified each and each audio setting and they are correct.  I did get output initially so seems odd.  Haven't checked the BIOS though and there has been a couple BIOS updates since purchased.

8 Posts

April 8th, 2021 08:00

I have the same problem. When I first connected external speakers about 6 months they weren't detected. After reinstalling MaxxAudioPro they worked. A couple of days ago they stopped working again. This time uninstalling MaxxAudioPro didn't solve it. I've deleted and reinstalled Realtek driver 6.0.8929.1 and I now have both headphones and speakers options on playback devices. MaxxAudioPro has internal speakers option only. I  lost sound all together but then after a couple of restarts the external speakers started playing media files on the headphone  playback device option. System sounds come through the internal speakers. MaxxAudioPro still shows internal speakers but the test sound plays through the external speakers.

All seems a bit hit and miss. I'll see how long it lasts.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

April 8th, 2021 11:00

@DaveHF  - Always include exact PC model in your posts.

Open the Waves MaxxAudio control panel. Click the Speakers icon. Then scroll down and click Advanced to expand that option. Put a check in the box to "show popup". Close the Maxx control panel.

Disconnect the external speakers and reboot the PC.  When you're fully back at the desktop, plug the speakers into the correct port on PC. Wait until Maxx pops up and then choose the correct external speaker option from the list offered. That should fix it.

FWIW, there are Realtek audio driver updates being pushed by Windows Update that cause this problem. Had exactly same issue with Maxx not allowing external speakers on my XPS 8930 twice in the past ~1 month because WU keeps forcing these driver updates on us. And for whatever reason, that "show popup" box isn't checked by default so you can't change things manually... 

8 Posts

April 9th, 2021 12:00

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I looked at the MaxxAudioPro advanced "pop up" option it was already checked so I unchecked and rechecked to be sure. Unplugged speakers, rebooted, waited then plugged them in. Pop up appeared with the various options. Selected external speakers and it did the job. Only one playback device listed in sound settings and all audio playing through the external speakers.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Dave

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

April 9th, 2021 13:00

@DaveHF  Glad that worked.    

8 Posts

May 21st, 2021 12:00

This is getting frustrating. External speakers stopped working again. Possibly related to the latest Windows update.

Maxx Audio does not show pop up when speakers are plugged in but it does show them as the selected output device. However all sound comes through internal speakers. Tried rebooting and running the windows sound settings troubleshoot. Windows has shown Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio), Headphones and Speakers ( High definition audio device) at various times during the reboot and restarts. Sometimes the internal speakers work sometimes not. The external speakers remain silent throughout.

Just noticed that Maxx Audio now shows "current default playback device is not supported" and the internal speaker drop down is menu is greyed out and not working whilst windows sound icon is showing Speakers (high definition audio device). Not got any sound from the internal or external speakers and plugging/ unplugging the external speakers changes nothing.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

May 21st, 2021 12:00

Humbug!

Did you make sure the Waves MaxxAudio "Show popup" box on its Playback screen is still checked?

Did you uncheck it, close/reopen the Waves control panel and recheck that box?

Did you then disconnect your output device(s) and reboot the PC, plugged the speakers in, and waited for the Waves popup to appear?

That has worked for on my XPS 8930 when audio output gets fouled up...

EDITED -OOPSY! I left out the key step...

8 Posts

December 18th, 2021 13:00

Hi, Did you find a permanent solution to your audio output problem. Have had the same issue on and off but currently everything I've tried in the past that has helped is not fixing the current lack of external sound. Would be grateful to hear if you have a solution.

35 Posts

December 18th, 2021 16:00

I ended up returning it to Costco and bought another exact same one from Costco. No problems at all ever since, so I do think it was a hardware issue for me. 

8 Posts

December 19th, 2021 10:00

Thanks for replying. Glad you sorted it. Wish I could do the same but I only used the audio out jack after the end of my waranty so I'm stuck with the problem.

8 Posts

December 20th, 2021 12:00

Ron,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such helpful advice. I worked through your checklist and didn't find any issues until I checked device manager for errors. Low and behold I found an entry for Intel High Definition Audio flagged with the comment "currently hardware not connected to the computer (Code 45). I uninstalled and scanned for hardware changes and the Intel High Definition Audio entry did not reappear.

Rebooted and hey presto external speakers working again.

Thanks so much for helping resolve the issue.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

December 20th, 2021 17:00

@DaveHF - You're welcome...

It's strange that Windows was looking for Intel HD Audio because this PC uses Realtek Audio. 

Glad you were able to find the offender and eliminate it. Well done!  

No Events found!