Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

12 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 18:00

XPS 13 9300 (2020) drops ethernet

Have tried two different USB-C hubs (Belkin and HooToo, links below) but ethernet (and internet) keeps dropping every half-hour to an hour.  The network/internet icon on task bar would show "Not Connected" all of a sudden, even though the ethernet RJ45 jack LED light on the USB-C hub still flashes green (normal and connected).  It's very troublesome especially during Zoom meetings! 

Unplugging the USB-C hub and re-plugging it in would bring the ethernet back but the frequent needs to re-connect is unbearable. 

Unfortunately this is the part of the home office without WiFi signal so need to use physical cable.

Does anyone have same experience / have solution?

I actually have two XPS 13 (2020) at home and connection is stable for the other one (using Belkin USB-C hub)

Appreciate your help on this.

USB-C hubs:

• 

25.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 18:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

109 Posts

September 5th, 2020 12:00

Hello

Awaiting a response to our previous message.

12 Posts

September 5th, 2020 23:00

Hi SimranC,

Have replied to your PM twice already.  Please let me know if you have trouble receiving the messages.

Thanks,

• 

25.5K Posts

September 6th, 2020 00:00

Hello, we sent you a private message.

Thanks

8 Posts

September 7th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

yes I had the same problem on both my XPS laptops. I solved it by going to Device Manager/Network Adaptors and altering the Advanced Properties. In my case the network adaptor is a Realtek USB FE Family Controller. Scroll down the advanced properties list and disable Energy-Efficient Ethernet. Scroll down further to speed & Duplex and set it manually to 100 Mbps Full Duplex so that Auto Negotiation is switched off. Since doing this I have had no further problems even when using a non Dell Ethernet to C-Port adaptor from China.

Good luck

Ian 

12 Posts

September 7th, 2020 07:00

Sadly, Zoom worked for 10mins then same issue came back.

-Energy Efficient Ethernet set to "Disable"

-Speed & Duplex set to "100 Mbps Full Duplex" 

12 Posts

September 7th, 2020 07:00

Thank you, will give that a try and report back soon

September 18th, 2020 17:00

Did you ever find a solution? I had the same problem and have just been using Wifi instead

12 Posts

September 18th, 2020 23:00

Unfortunately, still no solution. That said, after implementing the changes Shedi posted above, situation did improve - from a few times an hour to once every 1-2 hours. " In my case the network adaptor is a Realtek USB FE Family Controller. Scroll down the advanced properties list and disable Energy-Efficient Ethernet. Scroll down further to speed & Duplex and set it manually to 100 Mbps Full Duplex so that Auto Negotiation is switched off. Since doing this I have had no further problems even when using a non Dell Ethernet to C-Port adaptor from China."

1 Message

October 27th, 2020 03:00

I also have this issue using a usb c adaptor - VAVA adaptor RJ45, keeps losing internet connectivity very frustrating, will try the suggested solution and report back...   tx Paul

1 Message

February 10th, 2021 08:00

I have same issue on my new Dell docking station Dell WD19-130w / WD19TB and VAVA USB-C hub.

26 Posts

March 6th, 2021 03:00

some news/solutions on that topic??

2 Posts

March 25th, 2021 08:00

We have the same issue on 4 new Dell XPS 13 laptops (BNX93005)!

We have Philips 34" widescreens with wired ethernet, connected to the USB-C port on the laptops. The ethernet connection drops a couple of times a day, usually during TCs.

Unplugging, connecting to wifi and then reconnecting to USB-C usually works, but sometimes we need to restart.

Seems to be a common issue and Dell needs to provide a solution urgently.

24 Posts

May 20th, 2021 05:00

Similar problem reported at https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-2020-drops-ethernet/m-p/7756073. (That is more relevant to my situation because I have a 9310.)

Right when the network cuts out, I hear the tones that indicate a device was disconnected. Then a few seconds later, I hear the corresponding tone for a device being connected, then shortly after that, I regain an Ethernet connection.

Responding to above messages, disabling the Energy-Efficient Ethernet setting makes a little sense as it could affect power state. However, changing the Speed & Duplex setting doesn't make sense: how does negotiating an Ethernet connection have much to do with whether the computer thinks the device is present?

A common thread in all these complaints seems to be a USB-connected Realtek Ethernet device.

24 Posts

May 20th, 2021 09:00

@arencambre wrote:

...disabling the Energy-Efficient Ethernet setting makes a little sense as it could affect power state.

Scratch that. Still getting device drops. Even happens when no Ethernet cable is connected.

When the "you've removed a device" sound is heard, the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller device disappears from Device Manager. It then re-appears after the "you've plugged in a device" sound is heard.

I'm at a loss to explain why any device setting would cause it to disconnect and reconnect. I want to say this is related somehow to Dell software shutting down or restarting the Realtek device. I lean against it being related to Dell hardware as I don't see why the hardware itself would be targeting just one device for disconnects and reconnects.

No Events found!