Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2005 17:00

kernel32.dll problem

My system keeps giving me an error on this file. It prevents me right clicking on a desktop item, and wont allow me to delete items in, for example, word. (Deleting freezes the machine, then gives error message with word recovering document followin)

Reading other items, it appears I probably need to re-instal this file, if not the whole of windows, but has anyone else had a similar problem and can offer advice?

My system came from Complete Broadband in 2003 and I didnt get a CD for Windows XP so dont really know where to start?

2 Posts

September 12th, 2005 20:00

Can anyone confirm that these 3 should all be the same file?

I have the 3 files, but whilst the servicepackfiles/i386 and windows/system32 are 961kb and version 5.1.2600.2180 the other uninstall file is only 906kb and appears to be a different version 5.1.2600.1106

The 1st 2 were (according to what I see) modified on 4/8/04, whilst the other was modified 3/9/02 (yet date created was apparently 27/8/04!)

If they are all the same file, can I simply copy the correct file across and overwrite the incorrect one?

Thanks,

2.7K Posts

September 12th, 2005 20:00

Hi,

I`ve got 3 copies of that file on my machine

1 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

2 C:\WINDOWS\system32

3 C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

All are 961KB

Run a search for it and see where it is/isn`t on your system

2.7K Posts

September 12th, 2005 22:00

Hi,

Yes, I see that my "Uninstall" file is 906KB too. You would not want that.

Before trying to replace it have a look at the link below.  There seem to be various causes for the error. I would have tried to narrow it down for you, but you did not post the whole error message.

Also have you run any virus/trojan scans?  There has to be some reason for the error.

Trojan Scan                http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ 

No Events found!