Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

13 Posts

November 25th, 2018 15:00

how do i get windows 7 home premium installation file?

My son who has a Dell Inspiron One 2320 with Windows 7 Home 64bit.

Having just spent many days working with help of some guys on a form, we managed to recover the PC back to working where it would start etc.

My son has not got a image of Win7 as it is a Dell OEM installation as found out by entering the product key to Microsoft.

Can a image be downloaded in the event of needing it to repair the PC and many files were corrupted everywhere.

If so, from where. Tried several of the old links found here and are dead.

Otherwise as I have a Windows 10 iso and media creation tool, could upgrade his Win7 to Win10

7 Technologist

• 

12.2K Posts

November 25th, 2018 17:00

You can still download the windows 7 disc image from Microsoft. However since support for Windows 7 is ending in about 1 year, it might be a good idea to upgrade to Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

November 25th, 2018 17:00

If you want to stick with Win 7, you could buy a Dell OEM Win 7+SP1 Home, 64-bit DVD on eBay etc. It should install and activate itself since you're installing it on a Dell PC. Or, assuming you can read the Microsoft product key sticker on the PC, you could buy (or borrow) any Win 7+SP1 Home, 64-bit disk. You shouldn't pay extra for one with a product key if you have your own key on the sticker  But either way, you'll have to do the OS install, and then install Dell's drivers for Win 7, followed by all the Windows updates, etc.

Dell doesn't support Win 10 on this model, so you'll have to assume Win 10 will supply all the drivers you need or that the Win 8 drivers Dell does offers might work with Win 10. You might want to search these forums to see if anyone has reported installing Win 10 on this model and what/any issues they might have had.

You can still upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free. So if you go that route, I'd image the hard drive with Win 7   first, just in case. :Wink:  You can use the free version of Macrium or other backup software to create the image on external media (eg, USB hard drive). 

Create a new USB stick because Microsoft just (re)released the Fall Update and you should go for a clean install of the latest version. And this will be a clean install because because you can't "update" Win 7 to Win 10, it has to be replaced.

EDIT: JOcean types faster than I do.  :Surprise:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 25th, 2018 20:00

There are ways of getting the Windows 7 Home Premium ISO but it is substantially out of date and takes time to make up to date installation media. At this stage as Windows 7 Reaches End of Life in about a year it is not worth the hassle.

The Windows 7 Home Premium Key will work with Windows 10 Version 1809 Installation Media giving you a Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Home. For more details see my guides here on Clean Installing Windows 10:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-10/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 26th, 2018 05:00

Windows 7 home is already EOL EOS.  This is why any Microsoft Certified Refirbishers will only sell 7 Pro now. Or they have 10 HOME or 10 pro.

This is also why the digital river downloads are gone now.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=14019

Lifecycle Start Date  
Windows 7 Home Premium     10/22/2009

Mainstream Support End Date     
 4/9/2013     

Mainstream support defines the amount of time Microsoft allows for its
Windows operating systems – essentially, expiration dates.

Vendors will not support or sell systems or provide media after that date.

When your computer’s operating system is within the mainstream support period,  means DELL / Microsoft is still supporting that version.

When mainstream support ends, this is what occurs:

Microsoft no longer supplies non-security hotfixes unless you have an extended support agreement.  $$$$$

All warranty claims end.  Microsoft no longer accepts requests for new features and design changes.  This is also why newer systems based on Skylake and newer will ONLY RUN windows 10.

When extended support ends, you can no longer count on any security patches or reliability patches. This is what happened in April 2014 for Windows XP

* Support for Windows 7 without service packs ended on April 9, 2013.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Mainstream support ended January 13, 2015. You must install SP1 to continue to receive support and updates.  Extended support ends Jan 14, 2020 at which time there will be no further updates for security essentials or anything else.  Support for Office 2003 2007 is also over.  Current Version of Office is 2019.   Office 2010 is the last version that ran on windows XP.

Windows 7 home and Windows 8.0 are basically done.

14 Posts

December 21st, 2019 20:00

@ JOcean

Microsoft does not allow for OEM product keys to download ANY copy of their operating systems. You are going to either have to buy one on eBay or Torrent one. I do not recommend getting Torrented copies of any version of Windows as they contain spyware and other malicious software. As for the Dell OS recovery tool. It's completely useless unless your computer is still under warranty. Which, is self defeating because no one has a computer still warrantied by Dell with Windows 7 as the main OS.

I'm looking for a copy online now.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 05:00

Valid OEM COA keys work fine using windows 10 oem system builder media.

You install with the "I dont have a key option"

then activate once you get online using the change my product key option and entering the WIN7 Key from the COA sticker.

MUST BE WIN7 key.  XP and Vista Keys are not useable.

You must choose Home or PRO during initial install to match the version of windows listed on the COA sticker.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 06:00

Inspiron One 2320 may not work with 10 however if you have nvidia video option.  This is one reason why this model didnt support 8.x as well.

2.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 06:00

Master , this is a 1 year old post.! (we do not know what PC you really have and options when new)

MS ended ISO for W7 long ago and now fully dead support Jan 2020 (zero support soon, and IE11 banned to now at many web sites, and IE 1 to 10 banned for years) (but sure ebay has em…. and then you need 400 updates to make  it work, 1 day labor wasted)

W7 is dead. (play  link for fun)

if you want to ask how to make w7 only PCs, run on w10 ask, there are answers, but AIO PC are not any good.

try to change the GPU on one. show me. lacking a socket. As they say now, He's  DEAD JIM. ! eeesdayedjim.

on real PCs with full sized cases we can do magic, but not AIO junk. (laptops and AIO are max pain,)

you can how ever, might  turn off things that are dead forever (w10 dead) in BIOS like wifi ,ethernet, sound,  and replace that with a USB< toys. same, that do have w10 support, but GPU dead  good luck there.

on real desktop the GPU card fits right in. (AIO is no desktop, it's a battery dead laptop)

some AIO the bios is so limited you can't do squat.(but BIOS is not document for sure 25 versions of it)

Just load w10 fresh say to a spare HDD or better spare SSD, then see what works and what does not

then tell your story... case by case chip by chip, there is NO OTHER WAY.

NOT ONLY THAT but the newer ISO of w10 1909 + support more things, did you know that?

in fact chips that failed before run now, (not some Intel  Atom's) many CPU that were not then 8 revisions back.

In fact I have  2005 PCs here(attic test spares) that both run W10 64bit,  P4 and one AMD Athon 64 X2. newest stepping. if anything inside fails I replace it, using USB or PCI-e slots,  easy as eating apple pie.

but no AIO here, ever.

cure? buy a Dell 9020 MT used and win, something that has  future, is always best, CORE i5 gen 4 up. does.

No Events found!