Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 20th, 2007 11:00

..because the default mail client is not properly installed.

When I am on a web site using Internet Explorer and there is a click-able email address, when I click on the email address a window pops up that says "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed."  My default mail client is Outlook Express.  Anyone know how I can fix this? 

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 12:00

First, test if the default mail is configured properly.
IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs
Check that Outlook Express is the default mail client

If not fixed try
Start/Run and type in
REGSVR32 /i MSHTML.DLL
OK

REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
OK

Check this too
My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types

In list of file types, click. ( URL:Mailto Protocol)

Click Advanced.

In Actions, click Open. Click Edit.

In Application used to perform action, enter the program to use to open files that have this extension, then click OK.

In this case (including quotes)
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /mailurl:%1

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 14:00

Dunedin, Thanks for the response.

1.  I did check IE/Tools/Ineternet Options/Programs and OE is the default mail client.

2.  When I tried Start>Run and typed in REGSVR32 /i MSHTML.DLL and clicked Ok the message "MSHTML.DLL was loaded , but the DLL Register Server Entry Point was not found. MSHTML.DLL does not appear to be a >DLL or OCX File." I copied and pasted REGSVR32 /i MSHTML.DLL--from your reply so it was typed in correctly.

3.  regsvr32 /i shdocvw>dll  SUCCEEDED.

$.  My Computer /Tools/Folder OptionsFiles Types was correct.

Is there anything else I can try? 

Message Edited by aps@sun on 06-20-2007 11:32 AM

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 15:00

Here`s some more

2.   I think I read somewhere that one of the June Windows Updates caused this problem.  Was the link working before you installed these Updates? 
If so, maybe try uninstalling the Update for IE7 (KB933566)
There was one for OE too (KB929123)
Better check these KB numbers as they are the ones I had for this Vista system

Just back up any key before changing it

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 16:00

Dunedin, Many thanks for taking the time to address this problem.I am so appreciative!  I have been researching this for several days. 

Yes, the problem just seemed to be recent so as per your advice I uninstalled the KB933566 update for IE7.  This solved the problem.  I guess I just have to do without this update.

Do you think I should also set the permissions for the mailto key using regedit and then running the update again? Or should I do the update and then set the permissions in regedit?

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 17:00

I have been trying to find a solution for you and have discovered that lots of people have this problem.  Some cannot even use their email or access the internet.

Apparently this Update replaces an earlier one which produced the same problems when it was first released. 

General opinion is that MS will have to release a fix since so many people are affected.

Only solution I have found was to turn off Norton Security and reinstall the Update. That seemed to let it install properly.
I don`t know if that would work with other antivirus/firewalls, but if you want to install it, try turning off your antivirus and firewall first.  If it does not work you can uninstall the Update again.

Your questions about permissions
Did you discover that the permissions were wrong?

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 21:00

"I don`t know if that would work with other antivirus/firewalls, but if you want to install it, try turning off your antivirus and firewall first.  If it does not work you can uninstall the Update again."

I turned off both my Panda Antivirus and ZoneAlarm Pro and installed KB933566 again. This did not solve the problem so I uninstalled this update again. It is definitely this update that is causing the problem. Also I discovered that this update caused a problem when using Windows Media Player and Real Player to view a live web cam viewing of a pair of Peregrine Falcons nesting. 

I tried to go to the Windows Update Site and prevent the KB933566 from being downloaded again but I could not figure out how to do this so it is sitting in my system tray ready to be installed again.

"Your questions about permissions
Did you discover that the permissions were wrong?"

I am not sure what you are asking here. I think I was referring to creating the missing string value  "URL Prootocol"   I am going a bit braindead on this right now. 

2.7K Posts

June 20th, 2007 23:00

Yes, I think you should refuse it.

To cancel the downloaded Update
At the bottom of your screen you usually get a message updates available, look for a gold shield on the tool bar bottom right hand corner click on it and you will see a list of update titles. Untick the Update.
If you do not cancel it Windows will install it automatically at the next shutdown.:smileymad:

To stop being offered the Update
Right click My Computer/Properties/Automatic Updates
Turn off Automatic Updates

Then go to the Updates site
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
I think that is the correct link, but I`m in Vista just now.  If it isn`t you`ll find it at the top of "All Programs"

Follow the process through to find Updates.  You will probably be asked to update the software for the site first.

Click on "Express" and it should be listed here

Right click the update and choose hide update.

If you change your mind later and want to install that update, all you have to do is click on Restore hidden updates on the left panel.

Turn Automatic Updates back on

2.7K Posts

June 21st, 2007 01:00

"Right click the update and choose hide update"

I tried the above and do not get any menu to hide this update. The menu I get when I right click starts with OPen, Open in New Tab, etc.  For right now I have turned off the automatic updates.

2.7K Posts

June 21st, 2007 09:00

I`m not sure where the downloads are stored before they are installed, but try here
C:\WUTemp

This is a hidden folder. You must make the folder visible.
a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
c. Click the View tab.
d. Click to clear the Hide protected operating system flies (Recommended) check box.
e. Click to select theShow Hidden files and folders option, and then click OK

You will have to delete it or it will install automatically.
Also it will have to be deleted before it will show again for download in the "Express" section at Windows Update site.  You should then be able to hide it.

If you can do that then follow the other instructions to hide it.

2.7K Posts

June 21st, 2007 11:00

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I now have this update hidden, although I get the dreaded warning of doom when I go to the Windows Update Site about not having this update installed.  I hope Microsoft has this problem fixed at the next updating. Thanks for all your help. You have been wonderful!

2.7K Posts

June 21st, 2007 13:00

Very happy to have helped you. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by dunedin on 06-21-2007 03:04 PM
No Events found!