Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 15th, 2008 04:00

Windows photo gallery gone!

I have a new inspiron laptop 1525 (2 weeks old) with Vista Ultimate pre-installed. I tried to use photo gallery tonight and received the message: c:\programfiles\windowsPhotoGallery\photoviewer.dll

Now when I try to run photo gallery I get the message that windowsphotogallery.exe can not be found. It is like the program is not on my pc, yet in my startup window it is listed there. I contacted dell support and spent over 1 hour with them. Their only answer is to reset my pc to factory settings as photogallery has been corrupted by a windows update. I am not willing to reset my pc because it is connected to a server and this cost me a few hundred dollars. If I reset my pc then I will need to pay someone again to connect my laptop to my server. Dell support was unhelpful and completely without concern for my problems

Is there anyway to fix this? Can I merey reinstall photogallery? I would sooner return this pc before having to reset my computer. I have the original vista disk. I am furious that some windows update corrupted my photogallery.

if someone can help me I would be so grateful.

thanks,

Ron

2.7K Posts

September 15th, 2008 05:00

Hi

Windows updates did not take out photo gallery.

That's just the cheap Dell support that told you such a lie !

You have a corrupt windows file system !

I have many Vista computers here and every on has windows photo gallery

working with the windows updates !!

And no you can not reinstall windows photo gallery its part of the OS. 

Did you install some other photo type software that may have been compatible with Vista ? 

Good Luck

1.1K Posts

September 15th, 2008 11:00

Have you tried a scandisk to repair the files.

Try this.  Don't know if it will work, but you never know.

Click the START button, type CMD and then right click on the CMD prompt and select RUN AS ADMIN.  When it opens type sfc /scannow.  This will scan the system files.  IT should scan and repair them.  I don't believe you need the CD as I think the system files are stored in windows/winsxs folder.

370 Posts

September 15th, 2008 15:00

Microsoft has come out with Windows Live Photo Gallery (update of Windows Photo Gallery that comes with Vista).  You can download it from Microsoft (free) and try to install it. If there's nothing else wrong with your Vista installation (except the Photo Gallery issue), this might be your easiest solution.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2008 00:00

thanks for all the help. I fought with Dell for hours today and they agreed to compensate me $75 for the hassles because it looks like I have to reset my pc if I want to fix the corrupt photo gallery. I think it is terrible that a program like photo gallery is tied to Vista and can cause this problem.
No Events found!