Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2007 18:00

Uninstall WIndows Vista

Plain and simply, how do I do this? I want to uninstall Windows Vista and make my hard drive clear, then install Windows 98 SE and install my Windows XP Upgrade over it. What can I do?

17 Posts

I recently read this: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/893d4cb7-aff8-45d9-b94e-e1d6f25894ef1033.mspx Now my probably is emptying my backup. It says there are 5MG left out of 10GB, how do I delete all these files, make a new backup, and end this Vista misery?

1.9K Posts

Boot from the Vista DVD, and follow the indications until you be asked to select the partition to install Vista, you will se probably more than one partition. Also you will see Advanced options (Hard Drive) or something like that. click on it, and you'll see the options to delete, delete each partition, then create a new one. now, you can manually turn off your computer or press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart and boot now from your Win98 CD and install it.

The only problem I'm thinking right now could be that Vista will format on NTFS and Win98 only support FAT formats (I think)...

1.9K Posts

April 15th, 2007 19:00

The XP Upgrade CD doesn't work as the Vista one, if you try to boot from the XP Upgrade CD may not work, that's why he'll install 98SE first...

278 Posts

April 15th, 2007 19:00

I don't understand. If you want to go back to Windows XP, why do you want to install Windows 98 first? This is not necessary. Just boot to your Windows XP cd and follow the procedure. The XP upgrade CD will prompt you to put in your Windows 98 cd to prove that you are qualify to install XP upgrade. After it's accepted you remove the Win 98 Cd and begin with the XP installed.

17 Posts

April 15th, 2007 20:00

I have no idea what you said in your first post GioAguilar, but if you can explain in a little simpler terms I think I'll have a solution. I just reinstalled Vista (thinking this is what you told me to do) and the options you said to look for didn't come up and it when the whole painful process was over nothing changed. New question: If I buy a new hard drive and put my Windows XP Upgrade CD in it, will it work or will I still have to install 98/Me to give the hard drive the basics for Windows and then upgrade it? I am so sick of computers it's not even funny.

17 Posts

April 15th, 2007 20:00

Just before my DVD/CD drive was lost and now after I reinstall I don't have a outgoing audio device. This is just sad. Never again.

2.7K Posts

April 15th, 2007 22:00

Hi Superion
I was wondering what model computer you are using to put Vista on.?

17 Posts

April 15th, 2007 23:00

Hello. I am using a Dimension 9200.

278 Posts

April 16th, 2007 00:00

You don't have to install Windows 98. Do you have a Windows 98 floppy startup disk? If you do, boot to it. Type Fdisk. Delete Primary partition. Then delete any other partitions there maybe. Then boot to your Windows XP Upgrade CD. Follow the procedure when it asks you of Proof for an upgrade, remove the XP cd if you only have one cd drive, and put in the Windows 98 CD. Then remove the Win 98 CD put the XP back in and start the Installation of Windows XP. Before the install, the XP Cd will prepare you hard drive, partition, and format it.

This should work. If you do not have a Windows 98 floppy startup disk, I suggest you try my first suggestion in a previous reply.

17 Posts

April 16th, 2007 03:00

I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about when you say "boot." My Windows 98 SE is on a CD.

April 16th, 2007 05:00

It's easy.

-Put the XP CD in the drive.
-Restart the computer, but pay attention to the words on the screen.
-When you see something like "Press ESC to enter setup" or "Press DEL to enter setup", do it, and do it quickly, it may take several trys to get it.
-You should now be in the BIOS
-Look around in there (with the arrow keys) and find something like "First Boot Device"
-Change it to your CD drive with the XP disk in it.
-Save the changes and restart the computer
-The system will boot to the XP CD now instead of the hard drive (HDD)
-Follow the instructions for the install.
-When it asks for proof of a previous version of windows (since your copy of XP is only an upgrade), put the 98 or whatever it is disk in the drive and tell the computer where to find it.
-When it says ok, put the XP disk back in.
-When it's all done, get back into the bios and change the first boot device back to the hard drive

Easy.

17 Posts

April 16th, 2007 20:00

Started reading CD on boot, started downloading stuff, and before I could do anything else I got blue screen. This is absurd. I haven't come across one freaking solution that didn't cause me two more problems.

17 Posts

April 16th, 2007 20:00

I just bought a bran freaking new hard drive and it did the exact same thing. Tell me, how much more money will it cost me to get a bran new computer working properly? I thought 300 dollars would have been enough. No amount of money will ever add up to the grief and stress these thing has taken away from me.
No Events found!