Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2012 02:00

Trying to update Windows XP Professional on a Dell Inspiron 4100 Laptop

I was gifted this old computer which was wiped clean and XP Professional Reinstalled on it. I cannot however reach the windows updates, whenever I try to manually update by download, The wizard cannot connect to Microsoft's Website. Does Microsoft no longer support XP in any way? If so is there any hope of updating my system to the last published service pack?  I realize my computer is getting pretty old, almost a teenager now but If theres a chance to bring her just a tad farther out of the stone age, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance.

Thank You :)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2012 04:00

Microsoft has stopped supporting XP except for SP3.  However you should still be able to connect to the Microsoft web site.  This suggests some other problem with your Windows XP install.  

Go back over what you have installed.  The correct and required install sequence is (1) install Windows (2) install Dell Laptop or Desktop System Software on applicable models (3) Install motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including Video, Dell sound, ethernet, mousepad, etc.  

Go to www.support.dell.com       You can access the downloads via the service tag number  (preferred) or just by the model number.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 29th, 2012 15:00

Follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows XP. Download and install the standalone Service Packs and Internet Explorer 8, Media Player 11 updates as instructed and then install the drivers for best results. Next visit Windows Update after installing Security such as Microsoft Security Essentials,

No Events found!