Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

February 3rd, 2006 19:00

Sonic

What does this Sonic stuff on my new machine do? It appears to be something to do with burning CDs/DVDs. Any good?

As usual with a new machine, it takes a few days sorting the junk from the good stuff they cram onto these things. Any other pointers as to good stuff to keep and kunk to bin?

Q.

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 19:00

You will need to provide more details on your computer model, operating system, and version of Sonic (which is a burning program), as well as the names of any specific other programs you are unsure of. Some are trialware, some are games associated with adware, and some are just plain junk.

10.9K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 21:00

The Sonic software on your system is the OEM version of burning software
to get you started.  It is not the full product but enough to start with.
Run it and select the Help Menu and you will find some Tutorials to get
you started.

74 Posts

February 4th, 2006 09:00

Thanks all. Among the junk I've got rid of so far is Symantec/Norton and their wretched security centre, so some progress!

From what's been said I'm not sure whether to try Sonic or load Nero from an old disk. What do you recommend?

Q.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 4th, 2006 10:00

Depends on what version of Nero you have.  If it's a relatively new version, e.g. V6, then you will have full features. 

I would leave the new PC as it's shipped for a while, until you make sure it's all working properly.  I've seen too many cases of people customizing their PC at the beginning and then having problems and no one knows if it's a PC hardware problem or something to do with the software - either what was removed or what was added. 

74 Posts

February 4th, 2006 16:00

@fireberd wrote:

I would leave the new PC as it's shipped for a while, until you make sure it's all working properly.  I've seen too many cases of people customizing their PC at the beginning and then having problems and no one knows if it's a PC hardware problem or something to do with the software - either what was removed or what was added. 

It's a difficult one though; I agree with the idea of being sure it all works and that it won't have to go back to Dell to be fixed, but of course I need it to do stuff and there are so many customisations to apply before I'm comfortable using the machine. It takes days just sorting the desktop/Opera/mail/Usenet basics out! No time to waste checking out crippled apps like PowerDVD-DX which seems incapable of playing a file from disk! Best dump the rubbish ASAP and replace with trusted versions of favourite apps.

I seriously thought about restoring/installing a clean version of XP from the supplied disk.

Q.
No Events found!