Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2004 20:00

Java Virtual Machine Problem

Whenever I go to a website that uses Java I get a message that says:

Install On Demand (Other)

To display this page correctly, you need to download and install the following components:

Java virtual machine

So I click on the download button and it starts downloading and (installing?) and then all of a sudden another IE window opens and takes me to a microsoft website which says:

We're sorry, you cannot view this page because it requires the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). Your machine does not have the MSJVM installed. For more information please visit www.microsoft.com/java.

But the page that I initially wanted to view that needs JVM appears to work fine. However if I go back to that page again or any other website for that matter that uses java, that same message comes up again even though I already have java virtual machine installed.

How can I fix this problem? I already tried uninstalling from add/remove and reinstalling but it didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions? I already scanned for and removed any virus's and malware. Thank You.

Dell Dimension 4100 Series Pentium 3 @ 933 Mhz
384MB SDRAM @ 133 MHz
40GB Ultra ATA/100 (7200RPM) hard drive
Creative SB Live! Value Digital
32MB NVidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400 video card
Windows XP Pro SP1 & Office XP Pro SP2
NAV 2004 Pro
ZoneAlarm Pro w/Web Filter 4.5.538.000

Message Edited by John_Doe on 01-16-2004 05:34 PM

18.8K Posts

January 16th, 2004 21:00

John_Doe,

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools|Internet Options|Advanced tab. Make sure that under Java (Sun) the "Use Java 2 v1.4.2_01 for (requires restart)" is checked.

If that still produces an error message, you can download Microsoft VM from here. You must install v3805 before you download and install v3810, because 3810 is an upgrade over 3805.

313 Posts

It says that it's already installed. I already tried deleting it and reinstalling it. But I still have the same problem. Any more suggestions?

168 Posts

John, go here and download it:

http://java.com/en/index.jsp

313 Posts

the applet is checked... and i still get the error message...

it doesn't look like the link works for the VM... how do i know what version i have installed? i think i might have v3810 but i'm not sure if i ever installed 3805. what do i do?

313 Posts

January 16th, 2004 22:00

This message came up when i did what you said.

ERROR: Could not locate Java Virtual Machine : Class not registered

That's weird though because i went to the java website and it said it's installed already. and it works in different java website's it just keeps asking to download it, even though I have it already, but it says that i don't have it. I'm confused. what do i do?

18.8K Posts

January 16th, 2004 22:00

John_Doe,

To verify installation of VM go to Start|Run, type cmd and click OK. At the command prompt type jview and . The version will be displayed at the top of the ifnormation that is displayed (if VM is installed).

18.8K Posts

January 17th, 2004 02:00

John_Doe,

Jview only examines for the presence of Microsoft Virtual Machine. You were told that Sun's Java Runtime Environment was installed when you attempted to download it.

What is the URL of the site that you are unable to reach? I'd like to see if I am able to access it.

313 Posts

it's not just any one site in particular it's any site that contains java in it. and i am able to access it, it just asks to download it again everytime i try to access any site that has java, even though I have it already, i believe?

18.8K Posts

John_Doe,

If you have a Java (Sun) listing on the Advanced tab of Internet Options you have Sun's JRE installed and if the entry is checked for use, I don't know why you are receiving the error message.

313 Posts

January 17th, 2004 05:00

ok, i did exactly what you said but the same thing still happens... any other ideas?

168 Posts

Some particular websites are designed to use Microsoft Virtual Machine, thus Sun Java will not work correctly. Assuming you have already downloaded Microsoft's VM, try telling the browser to use MS VM instead of Sun's Java package (Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - check the boxes under Microsoft VM for "Java console enabled" and "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled" - uncheck the box under "Java (Sun)").

313 Posts

i don't know either. anyone else have any ideas? for some reason it wants me to keep downloading the program over and over again even though i have it installed already and that error message comes up.

Message Edited by John_Doe on 01-17-2004 02:44 AM

313 Posts

January 17th, 2004 15:00

it was already enabled...

313 Posts

Yes there is, the size is 107.00MB and I also have Java SDK, SE v1.4.2_03 which is 425.00MB is size. I need the latter to run JCreator LE Pro.

18.8K Posts

John_Doe,

Sun's site provides one step in IE that I haven't suggested (#5 and beyond).

1.Click "Tools" --> "Internet Options"
2. Select the Advanced Tab, and scroll down to "Java (Sun)"
3. Check the box next to the "Use Java 2" version
4. Next, select the Security Tab, and select the "Custom Level" button
5. Scroll down to "Scripting of Java applets"
6. Make sure the "Enable" radio button is checked.
7. Click OK to save your preference.

No Events found!