Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

YS

February 11th, 2004 02:00

Installing Win 95 on XP machine

I'd like to install a dual boot on my XP Dimension PC but have had no luck. Tried Partition Magic and it created major headaches, had to reload XP from scratch but couldn't get Win 95 to load.

I purchased a new HD just for backup purposes and tried to load Win 95 onto it alone w/the XP machine. It refused to load (can new machines still run Win 95?).

Is there a Web site w/info on loading another operating system with XP? Has anyone here done it successfully? Help is appreciated. I tried Dell support to no avail, plenty of hangups and transfers to dept's that couldn't help which then transfered me to other dept's which then... you get the idea, endless loop to nowhere.

2.6K Posts

February 11th, 2004 02:00

You need to install Win95 first, then XP into a different directory. It shold work ok then

Why on earth, though, do you want to run 95???

February 11th, 2004 04:00

> You need to install Win95 first

Yes, I found out the hard way the first time, couldn't get to any of the partitions and had to reformat.

> then XP into a different directory. It should
> work ok then

Not! So far it hasn't. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but No luck installing 95 on the old nor the new HD. I'll give it a try later 2day again. Maybe it's the settings on the HD and other devices aka slave, master, select but it won't recognize the new HD as being there.

BTW, once installed, should I use Partition Magic (which version?) to create a new partition and then install XP or is there another way to do this?

> Why on earth, though, do you want to run 95???

I have hardware and software that will only run on 95 or 98, not XP. Microsoft has way too much control over your PC with XP (my opinion) hackers seem to love XP (mine is not allowed on the Net). My 95 runs smooth, rarely crashes. Just need to learn XP for work.

18.8K Posts

February 11th, 2004 05:00

your screen name here,

If the old hard disk is formatted with the NTFS file system Windows 95 will not be able to see it. It needs to be formatted with FAT. You can do that with FDISK (instructions here). When you run FDISK, you can create a second partition on the hard disk onto which you can install Windows XP.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2004 20:00

Most definatelly what Denny Denham said above, check the file system

February 12th, 2004 03:00

>If the old hard disk is formatted with the
>NTFSfile system...

No, brand new unused disk.

Maxtor must have loaded it with software though.

Initially I had to remove the 80 pin cable and replace it with a 40 pin, it "now" recognized the HD, next problem.

After running scandisk I got the final error msg of: "Setup could not create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows"

"If you have HPFS or Windows NT file system, you must creat an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic Server or Superstor compression, disable it before running setup."

I finally got around all the problems and got Win 95 loaded. Upon running it for the 1st time and thinking it would do a final setup, it balked.

"Windows Protection error", duh. Plan on copying my old Win 95 HD to the new one and trying to run the new HD on the XP machine to see if this stops the problems. Any reasons why the Win Protect error popped up? There is no other HD installed, just the brandy new HD I formatted and created the DOS partition for, then installed Win 95 from scratch. Can't think of any reason for the error.

18.8K Posts

February 12th, 2004 05:00

your screen name here,

Start your troubleshooting here.

February 13th, 2004 00:00

Thanks for the help. I see your quite active on the board, so it's appreciated.

I removed the new HD from the XP machine and loaded it unto the old Win 95 PC - it now ran Win 95 OK. As I mentioned earlier, this is a hardware issue concerning new PC's, some or all will not run Win 95 (or so it seems).

I was warned about this by one person who worked on PC's and servers for a living. Annoying. I guess the last resort is back to square one, buying an old PC that will run Win 95.

I've used Ebay before so that's not a problem, just need to know which motherboard or processor that Win 95 will still work on? Pent 3, 4? At some point they made PC's w/o Win 95, 98 in mind, that is probably when the problems started.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2021 11:00

mattcowger, this does not work, before i installed win95 (or at least tried to) i formatted the drive to the FAT file system, then put the disk in, did the installation, and it would not boot before going to BSOD ( Blue Screen Of Death), so i had to reinstall windows XP through recovery mode, please help

-techieboi

No Events found!