Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 25th, 2005 04:00

HOW TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL NORTON INTERNET SECURITY??

I had Norton Internet Security in my Dimension desktop for a while now. I recently installed Zonealarm so I want to uninstall Norton from my hard drive. However I heard there are more steps to completely uninstall Norton Internet Security than the "Add/Remove Programs" option. Any help is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 25th, 2005 10:00

Uninstalling Norton can be a headache.  If you did the "orderly" uninstall from the Add/Remove software and then ZoneAlarm installed without a problem you are probably OK.  If ZoneAlarm would have detected Norton or traces were still there it would have given you an error message and would not have installed.

However, a "complete" removal of all "fragments" of the program can be an issue.  Norton has a utility to "clean" your PC but I ran into many problems after I ran that on my PC tring to completely remove it - so many problems that ultimately I had to do a clean install (reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything) - although it wasn't a major problem as I was going to do the clean install anyway just caused me to do it sooner than I had planned.  A complete removal without using the Norton clean utility will require manually deleting any folders/files left over and editing the registry and removing any trace of "Norton" and "Symmantic" from the Registry.  A caution editing the Registry - back up the registry before doing any editing as one wrong edit/deletion can cause the OS to crash.  .

ADDED: Registry "cleaners" or "repair" programs claim they will remove fragments such as this but I'm not a fan of Registry cleaner programs and don't use or recommend them.  I've had to fix several customer PC's that had Registry cleaner or "system mechanic" type programs run on them and had caused problems instead of "fixing" them. 

Message Edited by fireberd on 11-25-2005 07:22 AM

27 Posts

November 25th, 2005 21:00

Symantec has instructions on its website but you have to be careful as some of these involve going into the registry and not sure of your level of expertise in that area.
No Events found!