Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2006 21:00

Copy DVD

Hi....I have a DVD of a show I directed and need to make copies...how do I do this or is it possible.  I have a Windows XP home edition.....help!

1.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2006 22:00

I use Nero express 6.6  and it copies any DVD that's not copyrighted.

4.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2006 23:00

You don't mention any details of the hardware on your PC, but obviously you need a DVD writer drive. As XP itself does not have the facility to write to DVD, you'll need some third party software. Usually if you have such a drive some software will have been included, though it may be a 'lite' version, which may, or may not, be able to burn copies of a DVD. If not, you'll need to buy something. A useful starting point is

http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/cat/3

Or, if you also want to edit the DVD, you could look at suites such as Nero or Roxio.

Before you buy blank DVD disks, check your drive specs. There are two flavours: DVD +R and DVD-R, not all drives can be used to write to both.

June 3rd, 2006 14:00

Thank you for your advice....

I have a Dell 2002 Home Edition computer and this is the info I have

Pentium 4CPU   3.00GaHz   512 MB of Ram      39.6 GB of free space

I went to the site you suggested and wonder if I should buy the one-click DVD copy pro or other...will it work on my computer?

Many thanks!

baffledartist

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2006 15:00

The PC spec you give is fine as far as it goes, but you don't say if you have a DVD writer drive.

I have not used 1 click DVD copy, but cdfreaks is generally a reliable site. I note the average rating is 3 out of possible 5, though if you click on more info, you'll see that it was highly rated by others as well.

System requirements for 1 click DVD Pro are here:

There is also a cheaper non pro version

They are compared here:

Assuming you have the DVD writer, either should run fine on your system.

You can download a free trial version from here:

You have ten days to evaluate the DVD copy software during which time you may make three DVD copies.

Note: if you have only one DVD drive, you will need to use it first to copy to your hard drive, and then burn to a blank DVD disk from the hard drive.
If you have both a DVD ROM drive and a DVD writer, you can place the disk you want to copy in the former and burn it directly to a blank DVD disk in the latter.

PS I just noticed that 1click copy DVD has a user forum at

That might tell you what problems, if any, users are encountering.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 06-03-200605:46 PM

June 3rd, 2006 17:00

Thank you!

I am not sure I have a DVD writer as I went into search for DVD writer and nothing came up....

what next?

Thanks so much!

baffledartist....

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2006 19:00

Sorry for the confusion. The DVD writer is a drive, like a CD drive (one in which you insert CDs), but with different capabilities. There are all sorts of such drives. Some can just read CDs, some can read CDs and DVDs, others can read and write to CDs, yet others can read and write to both CDs and DVDs (these are what I referred to as DVD writer). To know the drive's capablilities we need to know the make, type of drive and model number. If you don't know what drive(s) you have, one way to find out is as follows:

On the desktop, right click My computer, click properties, the properties window opens. Click Hardware tab, click device manager. The device manager window opens. If there is an entry there that says CDROM, click the + next to CDROM, the name(s) of your CD or DVD drive(s) will appear there as entries below CDROM. Post the name(s) here and we will tell you if you have a DVD writer.

For example, I have two such drives on my PC and the entries for both appear below CDROM, the first is _NEC DVD+RW ND 3100AD the second is Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163. The name of the first one shows it is made by NEC, it is a DVD+RW drive (hence a DVD writer), model ND 3100AD, the second name shows the drive is made by Liteon, it is a DVD-ROM drive (hence can read CDs and DVDs but not write to them), model LTD 163. Obviously if your drive(s) are different make, type or model, the name(s) you see will be different from mine.

If you don't have any CD or DVD drives on your PC, the CDROM entry will probably not appear in device manager.

It would also help if you stated the model of your Dell PC. Is it a desktop or a laptop? If you don't know the model, right click My Computer, click properties, general tab. For example, I have a desktop, model Dimension 8300, and it says that on that tab below 'Dell Computer Corporation'.

If you don't have a DVD writer, you could consider buying one. They are not that expensive and, knowing what model your PC is, I'm sure some one could advise you on what to buy and how to install it on your PC.

June 4th, 2006 11:00

Thanks soo much!!!

Dell Dimension 8300 Intel (r)

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-84838

JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HDI66

If I am only able to ready from my DVD, can I buy the 'one-click' and will it make it possible to copy DVD's?

baffled artist

4.4K Posts

June 4th, 2006 13:00

I am sorry but you are out of luck.

The HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B (which I think is the correct model number: B instead of 8 at the end) is a CD writer: it can read CDs and write to CDs but cannot read or write to DVDs

The JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HDI66 can read CDs and DVDs, but not write to either.

Neither can write to DVDs. So with those drives there is no point in your investing in the 1 click copy DVD software.

If you want to proceed, you could either replace the CD writer with a DVD writer, or buy a third external DVD writer that you would connect through a USB connector (of which the Dimension 8300 has eight)

June 4th, 2006 14:00

Oh well, I'll get an external DVD writer for my computer!

Thank you very much for your advice and help.....I am not quite so baffled but still an artist..

peace

Baffledartist

1 Message

December 19th, 2007 16:00

I have been researching DVD copy software as well and yes, 1 Click DVD Copy by LG Software Innovations seems like one of the best DVD burning programs there. I am also taking a look at DVD neXt Copy Pro as it cans rip, copy and burn to Apple iPod, Sony PSP and Microsoft Zune (I have an video iPod). I did find a website that lists, ranks and reviews the major DVD movie copying software, hope this helps: www.dvdxcopy.com
No Events found!