Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2005 21:00

98SE to XP

I'm changing from Windows 98SE to WindowsXP since i have no choice. I would like to know if Dell or anyone knows if these 98 drivers come in a XP version so i can download them just in case i need them. Also i have a Iomaga 100zip drive so does it have XP drivers also.

**Important** Will it bother XP that my drive is partation and i'm using a Promise ATA/133 TX2 Controler Card. This controles the Boot Drive. for my Maxtor ATA/133 80gig drive

Audio: Yamaha DS1 PCI, Driver, Windows 95, Windows 98, English, Dimension XPS Txxx, v. 1.0, A01

Communications: 3Com 56k Winmodem (Coyote), Driver, Windows 98, English, Dimension Vxxx, XPS Rxxx, XPS Txxx, v. 1.0, A01

Monitors: Dell Monitor Driver , Driver, Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Multi Language, Multi System, v. 1.5, A15; Monitor is M780

System is a Dimension XPST500 P3 512ram100Mhz, Jaton Nvidia 3DForce4 MX440. (already downloaded the drivers for this)

68 Posts

August 30th, 2005 22:00

I spoke to soon, I tried to download the new XP drivers from Jaton.com for my 3DForce4 MX440 video card and one like doesn't work while the other download stops at 10.7mg of 12.4 twice. Does anyone know where i can download these drivers other than their site?/

UGH!

2.7K Posts

August 30th, 2005 22:00

Hi,

Does this help with the first question?

The Upgrade Advisor is a tool that checks your system hardware and software to see if it is ready for upgrade to Windows XP.
If you run Upgrade Advisor while you are connected to the Internet, and if your system needs updates that are available on the Windows Update Web site, Upgrade Advisor will find and install the updates for you.

3.2K Posts

August 31st, 2005 00:00

XP will likely load all the drivers for the T series . . if you wish, you can download the nVidia drivers here

wrs

Message Edited by simpswr on 08-30-2005 08:14 PM

68 Posts

September 1st, 2005 10:00

I ran the checker and this is what it gave me.

Hardware That Might Need Additional Files

Display adapters
  NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (downloaded the new XP drivers already)

Hard disk controllers
  Creative NOMAD USB Mass Storage Device (not currently present)

Imaging Device
  CanoScan 8400F (not currently present)

Printer
  Canon S820 (not currently present)

Printers
  Canon S820
  Pagis

SCSI controllers
  Win9x-ME Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller (ThIS CONCERNS ME)

Sound, video and game controllers
  EZ-TV TVP3XP WDM TVTuner (FM1236)
  EZ-TV TVP3XP WDM Video Capture (NTSC)

Universal Serial Bus controllers
  DPCM-USB Reader

USB Port Driver
  DPCM-USB SmartMedia Adapter

Software That Does Not Support Windows XP

Iomega Copy Machine (on the Start menu)
Java Plug-in (in Control Panel)
NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager (in Control Panel)
YAMAHA DS-XG Audio Config (in Control Panel) (ThIS CONCERNS ME)

Software That Must Be Reinstalled
Iomega Zip Software

Logitech MouseWare Drivers
Logitech Windows 98/Windows ME Game Controller Device Drivers

68 Posts

September 1st, 2005 10:00

if you wish, you can download the nVidia drivers here

I downloaded the XP drivers form Jaton site but when i went to nvidia the drivers it gave me were this
Windows XP/2000
Version: 77.77
Release Date: August 11, 2005
WHQL Certified
  • Support for GeForce 7800 GT
  • SLI support for GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 LE

I don;t think this is right

3.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2005 14:00

You can download the latest Canon drivers from their website . . be sure you get the ones that are patched for SP SP2 . . the earlier ones had problems with SP2

XP drivers are available for the Promise card, or you can move the hard drive to the motherboard for the installation and XP will load the drivers for it. . you can then move it back to the Promise card.

You should be able to find XP drivers for the sound card also.

Have fun . . wrs

3.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2005 14:00

Those will work . . it just has support for newer cards included . . if you wish, you can download older drivers as well.

wrs

68 Posts

March 10th, 2006 22:00

Few people said XP will run to slow so should not upgrade. Others have said Xp will run fine on this system so of course upgrade. Well nothing supports 98SE anymore so really need to upgrade and i can get XP Pro for free. I have 512100MhzRam so was thinking after upgrading i would add another 256 simm since XP can address up to 4 gigs of memory unlike 98 which was 512 even with the tweak. I have all the drivers i will need but one which is a HP Wireless optical mouse which i can't seam to find anywhere so i'm using  a logictec driver to run it.

HP H7330 Optical Wireless Mouse USB/PS2 made by RCA. Back label reads; Thomson H7330, Model No. FDM-2LCSO, S/N 33207203, FCC ID: F4Z4K3FDM-2LCSO, IC: 4647A-FDM2LCSO, CE 0470, DATE CODE 6332. It came with out a cd driver  

3.2K Posts

March 10th, 2006 23:00

I am not sure the T series will support more than 512 of memory . . which is really all you need . . you can nose around on the support site to verify this.

I think I mentioned this before, but with your Promise card . . the easiest thing to do is take it out for the installation and attach the hard drive to the motherboard primary connection . . and disconnect any ZIP or other removeable drive it may have.  Once you get XP loaded, shut down iand put the Promise card back in . . restart and let XP load the drivers . . then shutdown and move the hard drive back to the Promise card and you will be good to go . .

XP will laod all the drivers for the devices that came on the T . . and should handle the wireless mouse also.

68 Posts

April 29th, 2006 21:00

already backed up all my data and removed the drivers & software XP said before installing. I'm using a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 and see how in XP setup to change from 98 to XP drivers for that. I boot from the windows Xp disc and get the screens using F6 about loading drivers for my mass storage device which is pretty forward. I picked use the drivers from the floppy instead of on the xp disc cause i'm figuring the floppy has all the xp bug fixes in it and it's a newer driver.

Now when it comes to installing the OS it shows both my partitions and when I pick "C" it says I picked to load the OS on a partition that already has an OS on it and not a good idea. I figured XP would wipe it of 98 but guess I was wrong, so how should I handle that? It's a Maxtor hard drive so would I need to use Maxtor drive disc to wipe and reformat the drive before installing XP and would that bother the Promise setup? I really not planning on using 98 again.

Should i let it boot into 98 then install XP from that or start with booting from the cd?
I'll be installing XP Pro

Message Edited by lordmenace on 04-29-200605:49 PM

3.2K Posts

April 29th, 2006 22:00

The easyest way . . take the Promise card out . . attach the hard drive to the primary channel IDE connection and install XP . . once you hae XP installed, put the Promise card back in . . start to let windows find it and load the drivers . . then shutdown and move the drive back to the Promise card. 

You want to  boot from the XP CD to install . . you can delete existing partitions and recreate the one(s) you want . . then install

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell:  http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm

Message Edited by simpswr on 04-29-200607:00 PM

No Events found!