Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2016 11:00

How do I stop the "volume meter" bar from briefly appearing on my Dell 7559?

When my Dell Windows 10 laptop wakes up from sleep, restarts and reboots.....I get the small what I'll call blue VOLUME METER or VOLUME BAR appearing momentarily in the upper left of my screen.  It displays what I have my volume control set at set at (0-100)  

This volume bar goes away after a few seconds.  It's not a big deal and I can certainly live with it, but if there is a setting I can tweak to remove it, I would like to do that as I don't need constant reminders of my volume setting and I use the "sleep mode" often during the day.    

As I'm relatively new to Windows 10, I'm not sure if this is an Operating System thing or a Dell thing, so I'll start in this forum.  Have any of you resolved this on your Dell?   Thanks! 

5 Posts

March 1st, 2020 23:00

Hi @birchlake !

Have you solved this?

@nyc10036 shared an effective solution:  

https://www.howtogeek.com/269011/how-to-hide-the-volume-pop-up-display-on-windows-8-and-10/

Sharing this with you too. God bless!

• 

16.9K Posts

September 12th, 2016 05:00

birchlake,

You can turn off notifications from these apps by heading to Settings app > System > Notifications. Just use the toggle under “Show app notifications” and turn it off. This should disable all notifications including Sounds from installed Windows Store apps. There are apps which send sound notifications with banners which land in to Action Center. To completely disable all notification sounds for all the apps, move the slider for Show app notifications to the Off position.

33 Posts

September 12th, 2016 06:00

Thanks for the reply Jesse.  

I went into "Notifications" under settings and turned off ALL notifications, but this didn't resolve it.  Then I went to "Visual Options" and changed the setting "Flash Entire Display" to "None", but this didn't help either.  

I did not see a slider for "Show App Notifications" anywhere on the Notifications page.  I have Windows 10 Home.

Correction to make....it doesn't happen on a fresh boot or restart, just when waking up from SLEEP MODE. 

Any other ideas on settings I could tweak?  

• 

16.9K Posts

September 14th, 2016 06:00

Birchlake,

I  am looking into this to see if there is a way to shut it off.

33 Posts

September 14th, 2016 06:00

Thanks Jesse....I appreciate you looking into it.  

I can absolutely see where this should be an "option" for the user to enable, but I am not fond of it popping up as a default setting.  

33 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi Faith and NYC, 

I also use HideVolumeOSD application (open source) to resolve this!  

3 Posts

August 1st, 2022 16:00

Bad enough, we have no choice but to pop up a volume OSD for a MINIMUM DURATION when changing the volume, but it ALSO displays the first part of the TITLE of the stream being played!? What if you were trying to QUICKLY hide AND mute what you were looking at AND listening to from (intentional or unintentional) prying eyes?!  This could be a HIPPA violation!?  DUH! How did MS not think of this?!

Also, there's a player controls OSD which ALSO pops up for a MINIMUM DURATION and which ALSO shows the the first part of the TITLE of the stream being played right after I lock Windows???  Again, what if you were trying to QUICKLY hide AND mute what you were looking at and/or listening to from (intentional or unintentional) prying eyes?!  This could be a HIPPA violation!?  DUH! How did MS not think of this?!

40 Posts

August 16th, 2022 00:00

Right-click on your taskbar.
Select Taskbar Settings.
Scroll down to the Notification area.
Select Turn system icons on or off.
Turn off the volume.

Regards,

Will

March 10th, 2024 05:14

@Willjoe​ that only makes the volume icon at the bottom right disappear, i'm sure what @birchlake is talking about is this overlay at the TOP LEFT of the screen, which is why i'm here, for a slightly different reason, i find it annoying when i'm using other software and it constantly gets in the way when i'm in need of frequently adjusting the volume. 

(edited)

March 10th, 2024 05:35

@ByFaith​ and this really did the trick, thanks, glad this post was here :)

No Events found!