This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2005 23:00

eAcceleration.com & StopSign.com To Find & Remove Malware

Hi....

I've been told to down load the program StopSign at eAcceleration.com.  I've never heard of either of these sites and am unsure about downloading something from somewhere I'm not aware of!!. 

I would like to know if anyone has used either of these programs or heard anything good or bad about the programs. I'm using Spybot SD....SpywareBlaster....Adaware SE....MS AntiSpyWare....Norton AntiVirus.....MS Firewall.  I picked up a malware of some sort a couple of days ago and would like to get my Dell laptop back to normal, but if my current protection missed something, will StopSign actually remove it??!!

Thanks,
Richard
exRealtor 

569 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 23:00

I would not. Here's why.

Note on eAcceleration Stop-Sign: eAcceleration's Stop-Sign anti-malware scanner was listed on this page primarily because of the company's history of employing deceptive advertising and drive-by-downloads (1, 2, 3, 4). The company was also known for removing and/or disabling competing apps. These objectionable business practices were employed primarily during the years 2002-2003.

Sometime during 2004 the company underwent reorganization. Not only have the worst of the company's download and installation practices been halted, but the company has completely overhauled its stub installer application, giving users much more control over the software modules to be installed on their systems (1, 2).

While testing indicates that the "threat scanner" is still slow and has occasional problems with false positives -- in large part because of the use of heuristics, which cannot be turned off by the user -- we can no longer classify this application as "rogue/suspect." Nonetheless, this anti-malware application -- at least in its current state -- cannot be recommended, given the many excellent competing anti-virus, anti-trojan, and anti-spyware applications that are available (some for free).

(Note: other domains associated with this outfit include: accelerationsw.com, buttonware.com, buttonware.net, clicksales.com, downloadsales.com, homepageware.com, oodlz.com, signupsales.com, webcelerator.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 8-7-04]

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2005 00:00

Richard:

byker 49 forget to mention that his entire reply was a verbatim quote from Eric Howes' excellent website on Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Programs:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm 

There is a lot of good info at that site on which programs to get to protect your PC, and which to avoid. The programs you already have come well recommended.
You also might want to do a free online scan for malware from TrendMicro's HouseCall: http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/housecall/housecall_launch.php

Happy hunting.
No Events found!