Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 21st, 2016 14:00

Windows Updates Problem Persists

Finally, after days of attempting to download this months batch, the final update got downloaded and installed on Sunday, on both computers. Since then, on the Windows 7 machine, another couple of "Important" updates refuse to download.

These are KB 3161664 KB316 1958 Security Updates for Windows 7 for x=64 based Systems for a total of 1.8MG. These were first presented Sunday morning with a Windows Defender definitions update, and non of it would load. Ran the definitions update separately and it downloaded and installed. But the two listed above are still being stubborn after many hours of "Downloading Updates"

Any suggestions about how to overcome these glitches.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

June 21st, 2016 16:00

Looking at my update history, KB 3161664 and KB 3161958 both installed successfully on my Win7x64 system on 6/14.    But yes, it did take a long time for Windows Update to "find" these two.

In fact, per article by Woody Leonard, KB 3161664 ( MS16-073) is precisely what is needed [this month] to speed-up the Windows Update process!  http://www.askwoody.com/2016/win7-users-install-kb-3161664-to-speed-up-windows-update-scans/

Since you have a Win7 x-64 (if I read you correctly), you should be able to directly download and RUN this update from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794

After that, hopefully Windows Update will then be able to run "quickly", and find the other update.   But if necessary, you can directly download and RUN KB 3161958 ( MS16-082 ) from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52879

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 15:00

Well now, isn't that interesting.

A full week after the Patch Tuesday Win 7 updates are released, it still took Windows Update 55 minutes to scan my computer. But thank goodness MS was thoughtful enough to include a patch to solve this bug. Even if the kb article for this patch makes no mention of any slowdown issue it corrects. But sure enough, after installing it, a subsequent scan took only 3 minutes, and maybe another 30 minutes to install the rest of the important updates. In all, only 1.5-2 hours to manually update. It's almost as if MS was punishing me for wanting to control what gets installed on my Win 7 system, and for not upgrading it to Win 10, where I wouldn't have to worry about all this manual updating nonsense.

(Not that I'm paranoid, but hasn't MS pulled this one with previous monthly patches?)

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 15:00

Downloaded -1664 and Windows Update Standalone Installer is "now searching for updates on this computer"

Stay tuned, we'll see how long this takes..

Here it is Thursday morning. No joy on the above. After six and half hours of 0%, shut 'er down and went to bed. On the older Vista machine got an "important" update for Silverlight...was still half asleep and thought it was a definistions update. Anyway, after taking way longer than usual, it downloaded and installed.

Got the usual two updates on the Windows 7 computer, plus a definitions update, Attempting to do the definitions update (530KB) seperately, but after 15 minutes it is still stuck on 0%. This is getting ridiculous, about to put the two offending updates on hide. But first, will try again with -1664 later today and choose RUN instead of SAVE at first, and see if that works. :emotion-6:

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

June 23rd, 2016 14:00

I got a roll-up update today for Win 7+SP1 (32bit) that includes KB3161647.

KB3161647 says:

This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the following:

• An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers.
    • Fix for a Windows Update error 0x8007000E on some computers while they are updating.
    • Some reliability improvements.

It took about 15 min to download the roll-up and 2 other updates today. Most of the time it said "downloading" it wasn't doing anything. I use a little app to monitor network activity on a graph and it was zero most of those 15 min.  So I wonder how much of the delay is due to traffic on MS's servers

What I have found is Win Update works faster on this PC if I close all other apps (eg, MS Office, browser, folders, etc) while scanning for updates. And I don't do anything while the updates are installing so the PC can focus on installing updates.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 10:00

Went for broke and let the system have its way this morning. 5 updates total, the original two mentioned above, the Silverlight one, a definitions one, and an optional rollup 3161608. Came back a few short minutes later and the computer was ready for a restart. Hopefully this problem will be behind us :emotion-18:

Wonder if I should install KB3161647 or leave well enough alone, This is 64 bit system,

No Events found!