Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2009 07:00

Spyware protection.

I need your expert opinion. I'm now using paid version of "Webroot Spy Sweeper", aso Free version of "SpywareBlaster" and "Windows Defender".  Spy Sweeper subscription is about to run out. My question : Do I really need Spy Sweeper if I have the other 2 free version running on my computer? I'm also using the free version of Avast for my Anti Virus protection. I use MBAM and Super Anti spyware for periodic scanners. I have never had a problem with spyware. Once in awhile I will catch something with my periodic scanners. The "Webroot Spy Sweeper" works great, but do I really need to continue the paid version of spyware? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

May 18th, 2009 10:00

Well, I am not an expert, but they should be along later. :emotion-5:

I have the same programs you do with the exception of the Webroot Spy Sweeper. You might check out A Squared Anti Malware. I use the free version on my Vista computer, but last August Emsi offered essentially the whole paid version for a year as a special, for free, so that is on the XP computer I am now writing on. The paid version has background guard (realtime protection), but the free version does not have this, and a few other features.

I see no problems with either version or an excessive use of resources, so you might check it out.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

May 18th, 2009 16:00

I'm no expert either, but here are my thoughts:

I have trialed many  anti-malware programs, including the paid versions of MBAM and a2 anti-malware (both excellent programs, which I still keep for backup scans) but ultimately I have always returned to Windows Defender as my sole resident anti-malware on my XP MCE system.

I believe WD is a much-overlooked program. Not only is it free, but it has guaranteed compatability with your Windows OS. In choosing it, I was persuaded by the arguments Of Bill Castner, an MVP over at aumha's forums:

"Defender benefits from the feedback of 100s of millions of computers: scanned monthly by the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) (700 million every Month), by OneCare installations, and by Forefront installations, as well as others running Windows Defender (~ 35 million computers) who participate in SpyNet. This means that alone of the anti-malware utilities, Windows Defender has the largest base of actual incident as well as heuristically determined anomalies on which to develop its definition and other updates. There is not a competitive product that can match the reporting base of Defender."

WD has never let me down. I really see no need to purchase any other alternative.

338 Posts

May 19th, 2009 06:00

Thanks dalem29 and joe53 for your comments. You have answered my question. I will decide in the near future whether to keep Spy Sweeper. I probably won't keep it. I use great caution when I surf the Web.

No Events found!