Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2006 20:00

Turned off power surge protector and now computer will not start

we did not have any storms but my surge protector made a beep so we turned it off then the next morning, the computer will not even turn on. No lights, sounds, nothing. Push the button to turn it on and nothing starts up. Is their a reset button or something to try? It's a dIMENSION 4600 SERIES WITH windows xp. no problems until now. Thanks for any information....

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 6th, 2006 21:00

Rock-Em

Have you tried plugging the computer directly into an outlet and see if it boots?

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 06-06-200605:01 PM

20 Posts

June 6th, 2006 22:00

Yes, I have tried the outlet and it still does not work.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Rock-Em

Sounds like a power supply failure.

If you are handy around computers,you could test the power supply by opening the case and unplugging the 20 pin connector from the motherboard and jumping the Green wire to one of the Black wires, if power supply and/or case/processor fans run, then you know it's good.

Note= Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

If the power supply has failed, because the D-4600 has an open back and the computer is not under warranty, you can use most generic ATX PSUs with or without the on/off power switch. Check out the Antec power supply line.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Rock-Em

What is the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?
What is the sequence of the diagnostic LEDs at the back of the case?

Bev.

20 Posts

their is no reading on the lights at all.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 6th, 2006 23:00

Rock-Em   

You posted, "their is no reading on the lights at all"  hence the reason for my procedures for checking the power supply.

As the power button LED is a steady green and the fan runs, then the power supply seems to be fine.
What is threading of the diagnostic LEDs on the back panel?

Bev.

20 Posts

i'm sorry i tried it again and just the green LED for the DVD rom is on and the top rear fan is on, but the lights on the back panel are off.

Emily

20 Posts

Bev,

Yes,the green light came on in the front panel and the top rear fan came on too.
Excuse me for being dumb but what does the rest of the solution mean in laymans terms.

Emily

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2006 02:00

Rock-Em

What is the reading of the power button LED, green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber or nothing?

Bev.

20 Posts

June 7th, 2006 15:00

the power button never turned on. No color at all.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2006 17:00

Rock-Em  

It still sounds like a power supply failure.   Which given the track record of D-4600 power supply failures, is highly likely.

To make certain you could try using the test procedures, I posted here,

Or you could buy a power supply tester from a computer store, like the unit shown here,

Bev.
No Events found!