Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2012 05:00

DVD Drive keeps opening by itself

Hi

Since I purchased my Dell computer in December the disc drive keeps opening by itself regardless of whether or not there is a CD in it. As soon as I switch on the computer it opens and reopens every time I close it. I have checked the properties which states that it is working correctly and a diagnostics check stated that all software is fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem? As I said this has been happening since I first purchased the computer and has become more frequent to the point that it no longer stays closed unless the computer is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 Message

June 10th, 2014 18:00

There is an amazingly simple fix that might work as it did for me. Having done a pretty extensive search ranging from reloading the device driver, to playing with circuit boards and connections, I came across a post discussing how delicate the mechanism and the sensor is determining whether it is closed or not.

It turns out that the way many people close the drawer (which they shouldn't) by pushing on it, can move it one or two cogs out of the proper position thus throwing the open/close sensor off.

By gently pulling the drawer open while pushing on the close button you can pull the drawer back to the proper adjustment for the sensor, and hopefully fix the problem.

This worked for me, after spending months in the open position with no way to keep it closed.

And for those who want to keep these things working properly, just pe a little patient and use the open close button. Shoving on it is not a good idea.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 13th, 2012 05:00

Hi Suzannegrabiec,

Wow, sorry to hear you've had to put up with this for six months. There are two potential problems. First, sometimes a loose connection to the drive will cause this to happen. Open your case and remove both the power and data cables to the drive then plug them back in.

The second cause is a bad tray sensor. To fix that, you need only call Dell for a replacement drive. But check the connectors first.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2012 23:00

I have a Dell 630...far older than yours, but I thought I would offer this.

There is a bug in the 630 with RW CD/DVD drives that causes the CD/DVD drive to open spontaneously, at all sorts of times.

I have not been able to find any reference to a newer BIOS code with a fix, but there are plenty of complaints on the internet.

Those who have replaced the CD DVD drives still have the problem in most cases.

In my case, I entered the Dell BIOS and removed my CD/DVD drive from the boot order.  This eliminated the problem.

I can still use the drive; one doesn't need it in the boot order to use it for data.

if I need to boot from the CD/DVD drive (a rare case), I will just go back into the BIOS and put the CD/DVD drive back in the list.

BTW, Dell BIOS is accessed with an F2 at power on boot.  Navigation instructions are at the bottom and right sides of the screen.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi CaliforniaEngineer,

Thanks for that suggestion.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi Axelreal,

Great suggestion. I recommend that people use the button when possible to open and close drives (for desktop drives).

6 Posts

February 26th, 2019 06:00

That is good information.  I have a Dell XPS 8300 with Windows 10, purchased in 2011.  I recently had to restore my system by installing Windws 7 from the original disk, then upgrading to Windows 10, as I had done when the Windows 10 upgrade was free.  During the restore and upgrade, I noticed the BIOS was replaced.  Ever since, the drawer opens and closes and opens, when I am starting up.  Thanks for sharing and I look forward to any reply. 

1 Message

November 30th, 2021 23:00

Wow .. it was creeping issue for me last 2 years.. small trick .. you nailed it...

Thanks a lot for sharing the information and solution 

No Events found!