Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2009 10:00

CD/DVD Drive (matshita dvd +rw uj-857g) on Dell M1330 laptop will not recognize DVD

The CD/DVD Drive (matshita dvd +rw uj-857g) on my Dell M1330 laptop will not recognize DVDs.  It will read and play CDs.  And if I use an external DVD drive (via USB) the computer will recognized and access DVDs on the external drive.  When I attempt to use the interal drive I get the following error:

"e:\  (assigned drive) is not accessible.  The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"  I get the error for both data and movie DVDs.

The player shows up in device manager.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, to no avail.  I tried running a custom diagnostics, but could not get it to just test the CD/DVD drive (have to run whole test).  When I ran the whole test, the diagnostics reported no errors.  Is there a driver/codec/firmware out there that I can install to correct this issue.  HELP!!!!!!!

My system:  Dell M1330 XPS, Intel Core 2 duo cpu t7500@2.2GHz, O/S= XP (ver. 5.1.2600) SP2, RAM = 2GB, HDD=160GB,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 15th, 2012 17:00

Hi sankcool,

You'll need to replace your DVD drive, which should cost $40-50 or so. The procedure is here. It's not very simple, so you might consider having a local shop do the replacement if you're not comfortable working with laptop computers.

1 Message

October 12th, 2010 08:00

Just wondering whether you received a response--I have the same issue and it is VERY annoying!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 12th, 2010 17:00

Hi Jldokes,

Did you run the diagnostics on your M1330? You need to perform a custom test in order to perform the read test on the CD/DVD drive.

39 Posts

December 31st, 2010 12:00

amongst all the things that went wrong with the m1330, optical drive issues are common, I wish I could tell you there's a firmware fix, but there is no such thing, I've had my optical drive replaced 4 times, it is simply faulty.

3 Posts

April 15th, 2012 11:00

The CD/DVD Drive (matshita dvd +rw uj-857g) on my Dell M1330 laptop will not recognize DVDs.  It will read and play CDs.  And if I use an external DVD drive (via USB) the computer will recognized and access DVDs on the external drive.  When I attempt to use the interal drive I get the following error:

"e:\  (assigned drive) is not accessible.  The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"  I get the error for both data and movie DVDs.

_

OMG!! Same problem here.  Need to reinstall Vista x86, but cannot because the installers are on DVD.  Same for WIndows 7.  I tried XP Pro SP3, but it doesn't support SATA drives.  PLEASE help!!!  My warranty is over.  I think this is the manufacturer's fault and Dell should do something to fix it.

3 Posts

FYI:  I meant to suggest Osprey's post as an answer.  If the process is too hard, time-consuming, and expensive, I will probably just use a Studio to install it onto the HDD, then put it back in the XPS. 

3 Posts

Thanks!  I am trying to use a USB external DVD drive, but, tough luck, because it's not being considered bootable.

I will probably try using methods like this one to transfer the Vista or 7 ISO (MSDN) and then boot from a flash drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2012 05:00

Ok, good luck!

No Events found!