Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2016 10:00

RP Journal Sizing Prod vs Remote

I've read thru the previous discussions and didn't see one similar to my question.

When you look at the Consistency Group, that shows the path of the writes, it doesn’t show any writes to the Production journal.

I always assumed Writes get copied to the Prod Journal, and from there are sent to the Remote Journal but the flow diagram doesn’t depict that. So, given that, I've always configured the Prod Journal and Remote Journals to be the same size and number of journal luns but if we don't utilize a Local copy, do we really need the same size and number of journal volumes on the Prod side?

1.1K Posts

It’s very much a customer specific decision often based on business use or requirements, SLA’s or the basic requirement of failover whereby the original Prod site remains operational and has to be used as a Remote target.

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Data Protection and Availability Solutions

EMC Europe Limited

Mobile: +44 (0) 7730 781169

E-mail: richard.forshaw@emc.com

Twitter: @rw4shaw

EMC Europe Limited

Registered in England with Company No. 00990752 Registered office address: Level 1, Exchange House, Primrose Street, London C2A 2EG

The information contained in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is intended only for the addressee and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are advised that you have received the e-mail in error; please delete it and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain the message or disclose its contents to anyone. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of the e-mail and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

1.1K Posts

Hi Jim,

Short answer is no. The Prod copy journal is used for writing metadata associated with the write data during normal operation. However, please be mindful that if you Failover then Prod copy journal becomes the target and therefore write data is stored as part of the PiT snapshot history.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw

Consultant Corporate Systems Engineer - RecoverPoint & VPLEX (EMEA)

Data Protection and Availability Solutions

EMC Europe Limited

Mobile: +44 (0) 7730 781169

E-mail: richard.forshaw@emc.com

Twitter: @rw4shaw

EMC Europe Limited

Registered in England with Company No. 00990752 Registered office address: Level 1, Exchange House, Primrose Street, London C2A 2EG

The information contained in this e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential. It is intended only for the addressee and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are advised that you have received the e-mail in error; please delete it and notify the sender immediately. You should not retain the message or disclose its contents to anyone. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the contents of the e-mail and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

89 Posts

Rich, thanks for the reply.

That the Prod becomes the Target in a failover was an aspect I overlooked in my questioning and it's a very valid reason to maintain both sets of journals. I suppose, if we were in a failover scenario, we may want that original Prod site to have some journal capacity but may not need the same sizing as our RPO may not be as relevant.

Is it common practice to consider that if there is no local copy, it may be recommended to only keep half the journal size in Prod as DR?

No Events found!