Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2010 23:00

Trend Micro not installing properly

I have gone back and forth with Trend Micro's tech support on this issue for days and gotten nowhere, and am hoping that maybe someone here knows how to fix it.

I have a Studio 1749.  I got my computer on Tuesday, and have been fighting with Trend Micro's Internet Security [the regular version, not from Dell] ever since.  After having a conflict that required Trend's tech support to give me a bit of code that enabled me to load the software [it insisted that Outlook was running even though it wasn't], I now get an error stating that it "cannot recognize the software configuration" when trying to access the "internet & email controls" menu or any of the options on it.  If I do change anything there, the program will hang up.  I want to turn these functions off, never to be used again.  Does anyone know how to correct the error, or adjust the code in the program that is installed so that it toggles these features "off" rather than "on."  The features on this menu are the web threats, spam filter, parental controls, and data theft protection.  To the extent they are needed, I use other products that perform these functions to my satisfaction, so I don't want these.

Since I received my computer, I have installed Firefox, Thunderbird, Word 2003, an old version of Perfect Office, and some software that goes with my camera.  Otherwise the computer is configured as it was at the factory except that McAfee's removal tool was run [twice] to remove the 30 day trial that came with the computer.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software more times than I can count, each time with the same error.  I even downloaded the program again.  The Outlook conflict continues, so I have to insert the bit of code into the setup in order to install it.  As this problem persists, it seems that each suggestion from Trend's tech support just gets more and more ridiculous.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2010 14:00

I was able to resolve the problem myself by removing the trial of Office Professional 2010 that comes with the Home and Student version of Office 2010, which was factory installed on my computer.  The program then uploaded without conflict from Outlook, or the need for the work around provided by Trend, and without any bugs.  It now is working perfectly. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2010 07:00

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software more times than I can count, each time with the same error

When you uninstall and reinstall, if you do not uninstall then restart the PC and then install you can have the same problems.  You may want to download the free version of Revo Uninstaller and run that to completely uninstall Trend Micro then restart the PC and do a fresh install.  When you run the Revo Uninstaller, along with uninstalling the program, it will also search for left over files and registry entries and allow you to remove them.  This gives you a cleaner install point.

Revo Uninstaller Link

If you can't get the Trend Micro installed correctly, consider the free Microsoft Security Essentials program.  It is rated higher than Trend Micro, McAfee, Norton,  and up with Karpasky and several other highly rated security programs.  I do part-time PC support and most of my clients are using the Microsoft security package.

5 Posts

August 28th, 2010 08:00

I have uninstalled with Trend's separate uninstaller tool, restarting my laptop, each time  I have even uninstalled, restarted, and hunted through the files and registry for specific files that might linger, all to no avail as they were clean removals.  The problem remains. At this point, there would appear to be a conflict between the factory settings on my computer and Trend Micro.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2010 09:00

As you just got the PC Tuesday, if you are in the US and ordered it direct from Dell you have 21 days from the Date of the Dell invoice (usually the date it was shipped) to call Dell customer service and request a return authorization if you are not happy with the PC.  After the 21 days it's yours to deal with Dell Support on any issues.

Have you tried installing as Administrator?  RIGHT click on the install icon for TrendMicro and then Left click on Run as Administrator.  That may be holding you up. 

Also, keep in mind this is a users helping users forum and not Dell support.

There is a separate section for Security and Antivirus software.  HERE   May be best to post your question there as there are those familar with most AntiVirus programs that read that forum.

5 Posts

August 28th, 2010 11:00

I am the administrator.  I looked at the virus subforum before I posted my question here, but it the explanation of that forum stated that it was for problems with viruses, etc., but not installation of the programs themselves.  At this point, I am looking to see if anyone has had the same problem, or may know what is causing it, beyond the obvious installation errors as I have run the gamut of those "solutions" already with Trend directly.  Indeed, I went through them before I even contacted them in the first place.

As for returning this computer, I didn't want it in the first place as I liked the Studio 17 that I bought last year, but four teenagers on a burglary spree had other ideas on how I would be spending both my money and time this month.  Trust me, the angst involved in personalizing a new computer was not on my agenda, especially since the little brats took the power adapter to my external hard drive, and I will not be able to access it until I get a new one next week since attempts to replace it have been unsuccessful.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2010 11:00

Even if your profile has Administrator rights (the standard configuration on a new PC with one user), there are still differences if you "run as Administrator".   Some programs will not install (or have errors) if that is not used.

I suggested the other forum section as there are those there familiar with Trend Micro and they may have some info on what you need to do to install it.  Bugbatter is our forum "guru" on security problems and programs. 

HERE is another friend, from a different forum, that uses and recommends Trend Micro.  Wiz may be able to help you get it installed.

No Events found!