Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 21:00

Dell Photo p703w AIO scanning issues (Vista x64)

Hello, I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever resolved this issue, I've seen many different posts about being unable to scan/copy with this printer and wondering if anyone was able to get it resolved.

Current Setup:

- Windows Vista x64 (fully updated, and newest version of java as stated in previous posts that it's something that needed to be done (was also done before i even got the printer)).

- Dell Photo p703w (via USB) this is not setup wirelessly like most people who have been having the issue.

Problem:

- First it took almost 15 times to get the software to even install, several occasions I would have to restart the computer because it became locked up (note, this only happened when trying to install the software, no other freezes or issues with the computer).

- Several times I had to force remove the applications by going through the registry and removing all instances of the Dell Photo p703w, remove folder trees, drivers, etc.. so that the installer would run again.

- Finally (I honestly have no idea why) I was able to get the software to completely install in one swoop. (now I can install/uninstall with no issues).

- Current situation, printer prints fine with no issues at all, stand-alone copying works flawlessly. After opening the Dell Toolbox it detects the printer is connected, gives me the ink level read out, but if you click on scan or copy it will freeze the application (it freezes when you actually go to perform the action, also does it when you try to do a preview).

Can anyone help or have any ideas where to go from here? I spent 3 hours playing with this and it's become a headache (helping out a friend). I am very computer savvy, so you can be as technical as you want on ideas or thoughts. My next move is going to suggest moving to an HP Photosmart AIO as I've set countless of them up with no issues usb or network. Just from reading all the dialogue about this one printer in the dell forums makes me have an uneasy feeling.

Thanks in advance.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2010 18:00

I wish someone would reply to this.

I have the same "scan" issue from the imaging toolbox (locks up).

It also won't scan from the buttons on the printer itself.  Says it is, but nothing happens except the screen says "scanning".

Also, the dell imaging toolbox window, says it is "maximized".  It isn't.  It also cannot be resized by dragging the sides.  It can be moved.  .  If you "minimize" it, it goes away.  Nowhere to be found, except in Task Manager where it says it is running.

Any clues?  Like the previous poster, I have installed and uninstalled and updated and swore, nothing has made any difference.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2010 21:00

What I ended up having to do was use the Windows Print and Scan utility in Windows Vista and it worked fine. I showed my client how to use it and she was happy that she would be able to scan period. Hope this helps.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2010 05:00

Thank you.

I thought of using another program and the printer will run (print scan) from Word, Adobe Photoshop and the Windows photo gallery.

I cannot get the Dell Imaging Toolbox software to run properly.  Dell support blames it on my dual monitor set up.  If this is the case, it is the only problem I have encountered with my Dell computer running dell installed grapics running dell monitors, but seemingly unable to run Dell software.

We'll see.  Tech support is suppose to call me back today after "further research".  If they fix it, I will post.

Thanks again for your reply. 

3 Posts

January 9th, 2010 14:00

That's a total cop-out from tech support. My client had a newish Dell with Vista x64 fully updated. It didn't work at all that was the only solution we were able to use. We even flat restored the machine and it didn't do anything, it's just terribly designed software on Dell's side. They should have just left it with the original OEM Kodak software that was designed to run on it. Most likely it's a problem with the software communicating with the USB controller and chipset and that's why it's causing the problems we both are having.

1 Message

October 5th, 2011 13:00

i am having the same exact problem, is there some way we can get some sort of compensation for this problem. it is not right that you pay for a function that you can never use!!!

No Events found!