Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2019 02:00

Dell Precision Tower 5810 - BSOD iastorb.sys

Hello,

We have recurring problems with our precision 5810 park (Windows 10 x64).

Most of these workstation crash with blue screen on iastorb.sys

We updated the drivers without the problem being solved.

31 Posts

December 30th, 2019 12:00

Like many reporting on this topic, I have endured the iaStorB.sys BSOD error since at least August 2019, possibly earlier. I was getting them several times a week and as much as twice in the same day. Since 26Dec19 when I installed the new IRST driver (Version 5.5.4.1037, A09 last updated 18Dec19), I have had no further BSOD errors for going on 4 days now. I have NOT unplugged my internal optical drive; it is still fully operational.

Neil Howard
Dell Precision T5810 Owner since 23Feb18

1 Message

September 18th, 2019 08:00

hello, 

we hear in my company have been fighting this for a while with no luck.  the only thing that kind of fixes it is to wipe it out and start over.  i am getting tired of doing this.

is dell aware?  ive called tech support with no luck.

i can't be the only one.

dom

1 Message

September 19th, 2019 11:00

I have had the exact same problem. I originally had Win 7 Pro and recently upgrade to Win 10. I was hoping the upgrade to Win 10 would fix this but no luck!! Probably reboots from crashing 5x/week.

7 Posts

September 29th, 2019 16:00

i can't believe there is no fix for this. how do i roll back my bios update, i got all sorts of problems once i updated my bios.  dell pushes the bios update to crash the computer to make you pay for help it seems

1 Message

September 30th, 2019 06:00

I wasted this past weekend trying to resolve this problem of incompatibility with the intel driver and windows 10. I was actually trying to move my system drive from RAID to AHCI but I could never get it to boot, so I went back to square one with a system backup I made before trying any of this using AOMEI standard (free) to make a Windows PE CD, as I couldn't boot the system. I got it back up under RAID.

The Solution: I haven't tested this in use but have high confidence this will resolve the BSOD as I found this solution elsewhere on the internet with good indication its working for others and it makes since too. The iastorb.sys is an element of the AHCI driver and only used for the SATA CD/DVD optical drive. Physically DISCONNECT THE OPTICAL DRIVE SATA cable from the drive (or motherboard - from drive is easier)! The iastorb.sys won't be loaded when you boot and as its not loaded, it can't cause a BSOD!!!

If you need a dvd drive, get an external USB based one as that will not use the iastorb.sys. If you only need the drive on rare occasions, shut down, reconnect it temporarily for your needs but prepare for a then possible BSOD (which may or not happen) and then shut down and disconnect.

This problem is a windows 10 and Intel driver incompatibility issue as other non-dell systems can have this problem too with these particular versions combo. Why hasn't it already been resolved? read your software license.... they don't have to care.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 20:00

Yep - exact same problem for 8-odd months now, crashing on me 3 - 4 times a day. Aaaaargh. I have unplugged the DVD drive - fingers crossed this will fix the problem. I'll report back in due course.

Really p..d with Dell for not fronting up with a better fix to a problem I'm sure they know about, that a lot of people have.

3 Posts

October 6th, 2019 19:00

No crashed over the weekend - looks like disconnecting the DVD internally has worked.

Now rolling back Windows 10 updates as the latest updates crash my printer spooler...

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 7th, 2019 05:00

@FaT_bOb we have certified the 5810 system as suitable for compatibility with all versions of Windows 10 released so far.

Looking at both the chipset and the IRST drivers, both are revision 1 with no other versions available.

Are the bluescreens before Windows or always within the Windows environment?

When updating the driver, have you tried uninstalling the driver completely before then reinstalling the current versions we have?

Your copy of Windows 10, have they been upgrades from Windows 7 or a clean Windows 10 install?

If it's a clean install have you used the Dell OEM version of Windows 10, or the Microsoft Windows media creation tool?

What BIOS are you currently running on the system?

Have you tried running the latest Intel RST driver directly from Intel themselves- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28890/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe-AHCI-and-SCU-Software-RAID-Driver-for-Windows-

Alan

3 Posts

October 9th, 2019 11:00

@FaT_bOb we have certified the 5810 system as suitable for compatibility with all versions of Windows 10 released so far.

Hmmm ok - funny there's a LOT of instances of Dell 5810 owners having this same problem, which has occurred 'recently', after Dell / Windows updates around the beginning of this year.

Prior to that, the system had been faultless since April 2017.

Looking at both the chipset and the IRST drivers, both are revision 1 with no other versions available.

Are the bluescreens before Windows or always within the Windows environment?

Always within Windows - never at boot-up.

When updating the driver, have you tried uninstalling the driver completely before then reinstalling the current versions we have?

Yep sure have. Its not the driver - its a compatibility issue. Plenty of other resources on the web that point this out, as lotsa people with the same hardware config are having the same issue.

Your copy of Windows 10, have they been upgrades from Windows 7 or a clean Windows 10 install?

I personally bought the 5810 from Dell with Windows 10 factory installed

If it's a clean install have you used the Dell OEM version of Windows 10, or the Microsoft Windows media creation tool?

Per above, Windows 10 factory installed by Dell

What BIOS are you currently running on the system?

Latest Dell BIOS - it's been updated

Have you tried running the latest Intel RST driver directly from Intel themselves- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28890/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-enterprise-Intel-RSTe...

Of course - first thing I did was go and update all drivers. The problem is that we can't roll back the RST driver - as with the old version, there were never any problems...

Alan

1 Message

October 10th, 2019 14:00

A few days ago I updated using Dell's updating utility. I believe that included a BIOS update too. And since then I also had the iastorb.sys issue with BSOD. Sometimes it would crash after an hour or 2 and today it was crashing every 5 minutes! So I disconnected the DVD as suggested by 3seas in this thread and sure enough I haven't had a crash in over 2 hours now. Thanks for that!

System is Dell 5810 running Windows 10 Pro with everything updated including Intel drivers.

I can live without a DVD for a little bit, but please Dell resolve this issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

@Oxign as per my response to @FaT_bOb can you also try installing that IRST driver that I linked to and let me know the system still bluescreens.

Thanks, Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2019 07:00

@FaT_bOb thanks for the info. 

Do you have any raid cards in the system and are you running a raid setup?

I spoke to engineering and they advised the IRST driver is pretty generic and should work on the system.

Can you try installing this version of the driver on the system and then let me know if it still bluescreens please - 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2206f&oscode=wt64a&productcode=precision-5820-workstation

Thanks, 
Alan

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 18:00

I too have been battling BSOD's about 2-10x per day and working with support to resolve this.  Mine started in August 2019 after dell replaced a hard drive (Dell support assist ran auto hardware scan and notified dell of errors on hard drive) so a tech came out and replaced the hard drive.  I have been experiencing BSOD's daily ever since.  Dell has sent another tech out the end of September to replace the mother board and another hard drive and still experiencing the same BSOD's.  I am now looking for direction to fix this myself.   

16 Posts

October 18th, 2019 01:00

There is some memory compatibility issues with hynix dimms.
When i changed completely the 4 of them to Samsung M393A1G40DB0-CPB modules the system started work normally. We tested the moduls in different Servers and there were not any problem.memissue.jpg

No Events found!