Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2018 06:00

R720xd stuck at Configuring Memory...Done

Hi all, my recently acquired R720xd hangs at Configuring Memory...Done, as the title says. I can't press F10 or F2 or any other key.

• I have taken out all components except a CPU on slot 1 and one stick of memory.
  • I have varied which of my two CPUs I had in slot 1, and which stick of memory. All without any result.
  • I have also changed the NVRAM_CLR and PASSWD_EN jumpers around to no avail.
  • I have tried to set a BIOS variable through racadm to try and 'jumble' the BIOS. It now simply shows as Pending in racadm and it doesn't seem to get applied at all.
  • I have tried to flash the bios via racadm, which fails because it wants to reboot to apply, but the machine never gets to a state where a bios update is applied.

The only way I can change what the message is, is by removing all memory from the machine, or inserting in a non-supported order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

June 7th, 2019 01:00

I solved this by writing a clean BIOS image to the chip directly with one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SOP16-TO-DIP8-300MIL-25-series-chips-16pin-clip-SOP16-CLIP/32533530537.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dANRo8W I used binwalk (https://github.com/ReFirmLabs/binwalk) to extract the BIOS image from the DOS exe on the Dell website. Finally I used flashrom (https://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom) to write the extracted image to the chip. When I rebooted the server, I had to provide the service tag. I think I reinstalled the BIOS update the 'proper' way after that.

• 

8.6K Posts

July 16th, 2018 07:00

Hertog_Jan,

There could be an issue with the motherboard, but lets try this process and see if there is any change.

Power down, pull the power cables, hold the power button for 20sec. I know you removed hardware, but can you take the server to its minimum to post configuration? That is removing everything from the server but the following;

One Power Supply
Control Panel
Working cable connection between control panel and system board
One Processor in socket CPU1
One Memory Module installed in socket A1
System Board
Backplane

Once you do that then move the NVRAM jumper over and then power up. Clear NVRam and then power down and restore the jumper. Then power and see if when you see the Memory Check that hitting escape a couple times will get past it. If not then we may need to consider the issue as the motherboard.

Let me know what you see.

July 16th, 2018 14:00

Chris, very much appreciate your reply! I have performed the steps exactly as you described. The server stoically remains displaying “Configuring Memory...Done”. I have mashed escape thoroughly on two different keyboards in all available USB ports with the same result.

It might be helpful if you know commands to write to the bios directly from the iDRAC, maybe using ipmitool?

June 7th, 2019 01:00

May I ask how you solved this problem? I meet the sample one, except my server is R720.

June 8th, 2019 22:00

OK, thanks for reply! I will have a try.

June 21st, 2019 21:00

Well, I think I have to flash the bios chip through a programmer. However, I have no idea about where the bios chip is. Cloud you give me a help? Thanks!

1 Message

November 1st, 2019 04:00

Hello @conanyangqun

Same issue on a R620...

Did you have found the chip location on the motherboard (Approximately the same layout between R720xd and R620) ?

Cheers.

1 Message

March 12th, 2020 20:00

What programmer did you use?

February 9th, 2021 00:00

The GPIO pins on a Raspberry Pi 3B.

March 7th, 2021 06:00

Well, I think I have to flash the bios chip through a programmer. However, I have no idea about where the bios chip is. Cloud you give me a help? Thanks!

• 

3.9K Posts

March 7th, 2021 22:00

Hi, BIOS chip is placed on the motherboard however I'm afraid we do not know exactly where the location is.  

April 20th, 2021 22:00

I'm also looking for the location of the bios chip.

• 

2.3K Posts

April 21st, 2021 00:00

Hi, unfortunately, we do not have a diagram or image showing the location of the BIOS chip on the motherboard. The BIOS chip is usually a small chip connected to the motherboard with 4 legs on each side. Unfortunately, I don't have any images. It would be useful if other community users were able to accomplish the method you want to do and share their image. However, this is a very risky intervention, be careful(like short-circuit). I cannot recommend anyone who has no technical knowledge to do this and all responsibility belongs to the user. 

No Events found!