Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2015 16:00

GPU installation-PowerEdge T630

My advisor has recently purchased a PowerEdge T630 server and we want to install NVIDIA Tesla K40 in future. It has a dual hot-plug 1100W power supply. It was ordered without a GPU installation kit.

I was going through one of the Q&As where it was said that a GPU enablement kit is required.

My question is when we purchase an NVIDIA GPU then what else do we need to install it? It is straight forward right ?

Thanks much for the help.

Sumana

548 Posts

October 19th, 2015 00:00

From what I understand, the GPU installation kit must be selected when the system is ordered. In that way the required components (GPU auxilary power cable, power distribution board, etc) that allow GPU cards to be installed are included with the server. 

Note that if the delivered system does not have GPU installation capabilities, then the unit should be returned and a new unit with the desired GPU installation capability should be ordered.

Also note that even though the Dell T630 order page provides an option for a "GPU enablement kit", there is no such kit that can be ordered post sale. Calling it a "kit" gives a false impression that a kit actually exists, which it does not.

Either Dell should change the wording on it's order page to clarify it's not a kit as such OR get off its behind and actually design a kit that can be used to update the T630 to allow for GPU cards to be installed (if it wasn't ordered with such a capability).

3 Posts

October 18th, 2015 17:00

My advisor has recently purchased a PowerEdge T630 server and we want to install NVIDIA Tesla K40 in future. It has a dual hot-plug 1100W power supply. It was ordered without a GPU installation kit.

I was going through one of the Q&As where it was said that a GPU enablement kit is required.

My question is when we purchase an NVIDIA GPU then what else do we need to install it? It is straight forward right ?

Thanks much for the help.

Sumana

3 Posts

October 19th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I also feel that it is misleading. A kit is something that can be assembled at anytime, not at the time of manufacture.

Thanks for your time.

June 11th, 2016 10:00

I generally think Dell is clever and customer focused, but this really is insane. It is literally $80 USD of parts that a onsite tech can install.

• X7C1K: Power Interposer Board (PIB)
  • 4999G: plastic holder
  • DRXPD: cable

No Events found!