Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

September 17th, 2018 09:00

760, MATS Test failure

I changed the battery after getting a low batter warning.  I updated BIOS with the date and time.  I am unable to get to Windows 10 operating system.  I pressed F12 from the Dell screen to run diagnostics.  The diagnostics stops when it begins running the MATS test.  I tried this twice. It stopped each time at a different CPU address.  The computer locked up and pressing ESC to abort wouldn't work so I had to turn it off be holding down the start button.  How to I fix?

September 17th, 2018 19:00

I tested the two memory modules separately, and each passed the pre-boot diagnostic tests.  I put reinstalled them to the memory slots and ran the pre-boot diagnostic test again. This time it completed, no Diagnostic Utility Partition identified, and OK to reboot the system.  Windows then gave me an "inaccessible boot device" error.  I went to Troubleshooting, Advanced Options, Startup Settings, and Safe Mode.  From Safe Mode I restarted the computer, and it worked.  Problem has been resolved, but don't know why changing a battery would have caused an issue.  Also I don't understand how it was resolved.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 17th, 2018 10:00

MATS Test Failure  BAD RAM

MATS FAILMATS FAIL

Extended Memory Test ( 7F090, A0000 )
MATS + Loop 1 ................................. Fail
* Addr : 00100000 ( 1M) , Exp : 55aa55aa , Act : 21802180

The Extended Memory range starts from approximately 641K onwards, this is occupied by the Windows operating system and other software applications. A failure has been encountered at address location :00100000 (memory range at 1M). The MAT-S Test pattern detected the failure by writing a data pattern [55aa55aa] into the memory range location beginning at 641KB through to 32 MB, and the diagnostic detected the failure location at 1 Mb. In this example the read back data was [21802180], which is incorrect.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2018 21:00

@ArtemisRay wrote:

Problem has been resolved, but don't know why changing a battery would have caused an issue.  Also I don't understand how it was resolved.

There is about 1000 contacts (just pieces of metal touching each other) on those RAM DIMMs. My guess is when you disturbed the motherboard with battery change, a single contact was not a 100% electrical connection any more. By re-seating the DIMMs, you "fixed it". I've seen it many times before.

Many people think soldered-in memory is a conspiracy, but I think preventing this scenario is more likely. However, I still prefer removable DIMMs.

Passmark's MemTest86.com is also good. Memory that completes 2 full passes of that with zero-errors (outside of Windows or Linux )  ... almost impossible for it to still be bad.

No Events found!