Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2009 10:00

pc does not recognize mp3 player

I have a Dimension 9150 and until recently I have plugged my mp3 player into a front usb socket (j) I think with no problem but now my pc doesn't recognize it I have tried the other front usb socket and connected my mp3 to a hub connected to a back usb socket but nothing comes up. In 'my computer' (j) doesn't show, but when I connect a memory stick to (j) it does show in 'my computer' and I can open the memory stick, but when I connect my mp3 player I can't find it anywhere. the only change to my pc recently is the installation of Kaspersky internet security as opposed to McAfee which I had before. Can anyone help please?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 28th, 2009 15:00

If you are not using the "Safely remove hardware" option (icon in sys tray) that could be your problem.  If you disconnect a USB device without the safely remove hardware function the status of the device can get corrupted in Windows.  To fix this, the device needs to be connected to the PC and then the device uninstalled in the Device Manager (Device Manager will probably show some type of error and even an "unknow device").  After uninstall it in the Device Manager, disconnect the unit and restart the PC.  After Windows starts, connect the unit and Windows should detect and install the device.

To access the Device Manager, hold the Windows key down and press the pause/break key.  RIGHT click on the device and then LEFT click Uninstall.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2009 01:00

Thank you for replying fireberd, I followed your instructions, a usb mass storage device did have an exclamation mark by it, I uninstalled it re-started my pc the system tray said 'found new hardware' CA-200, I checked in device manager to make sure it showed corrected then I plugged my mp3 player in but still nothing, I opened 'my computer' and clicked on all the removable storage icons to open them to see if one was the mp3 player but they were all empty, I clicked on safely remove hardware, waited for it to advise me then unplugged the mp3 player, went back to device manager and the exclamation mark was there again. I re-tried a few times using both of the two usb ports at the front and still no luck. I have looked in the user manual to try to identify the usb ports by letter to make sure that safely remove refers to the usb port that I am disconnectng from but I found no reference, so I'm not sure if indeed I am being given the ok to disconnect from that particular port.

I am grateful to you for taking the time to help me and if there is anything else that you can suggest I would be grateful.

Regards,

Ray.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 29th, 2009 06:00

What is the CA200? 

Since all other devices work, or apparently work OK, and it's just the MP3 player, maybe it is the problem rather than the PC?

4 Posts

August 30th, 2009 09:00

I don't know what CA-200 is, that's what it says in the baloon along with found new hardware, the only other thing is that the mp3 player does charge up when connected to these usp ports.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 12:00

Hi fireberd,

I have now found the problem, it is the usb cable that came with the player to connect to pc, I tried someone else's and it worked. So thank you for the advice that you gave me, everything helps me to gain more knowledge about my pc.

Kind Regards,

raysalarf.

No Events found!