Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 18th, 2007 23:00

network adapter problems?

Hi,

I have a wireless network set up at my home, and my Inspiron 6000 seems to have no problem connecting to it. However, I think the network adapter isn't working properly as I can't get onto the Internet. I'm not much of a techie at all, but I've tried to fix this problem on my own - so much so I've lost track of what I've done. Regardless to say, nothing has worked.

When I open the Network Connections screen it shows that my wireless network connection is connected, as is the 1394 connection. The Local Area Connection 2 says that a network cable is unplugged (I don't know what this means, really). The device is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

As added excitement, my computer won't connect to the internet at all, even when I plug in the ethernet cable and turn off the wireless.

Help!!!!!

Thanks!

6 Posts

February 19th, 2007 01:00

I have a cable connection. I have actually reset the entire system (modem, router, computers) several times and to no avail. I have been able to use other computers on the network without any problem at all.

thanks for your help!

margaret

28K Posts

February 19th, 2007 01:00

Is this a cable or dsl connection?  Note the 1394 connection is your firewire port and it is not normally used in networking, so we do not need to consider that.   When you change back and forth between the computer being connected to the router and to the modem, are you doing a complete reset of the network?  If this is a cable connection, it is absolutely required that the reset be done because cable modems remember the last device they were connected to and will not allow another connection until the reset procedure is done. 

When you are not getting an internet connection on the Inspiron 6000, are other computers on the network able to connect to the internet? 

Steve

28K Posts

February 19th, 2007 02:00

Thanks for letting us know that this fixed the problem.

Steve

28K Posts

If this is the only computer that cannot connect and it cannot connect by ethernet or wirless, try downloading and running winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here.

Steve

6 Posts

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Winsockfix worked and I have my computer back. Seriously, thank you!

1.7K Posts

March 4th, 2007 16:00

Moved to appropriate board. (TechTalk - Portable - Audio)

March 5th, 2007 07:00

I tried the winsockxpfix program and it did not fix the wireless connection and I almost lost the ethernet connection. What did that program do? Unfortunately I did not reboot so that may have caused some damage. And I don't feel comfortable deleting registries now. How do I know it's safe? Also, the computer is brand new. Could it have registry problems already?
No Events found!