Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 26th, 2004 11:00

Network Adapter Missing after Reinstall - HELP!

I had to completely reinstall windows xp on my Dimension 2300 desktop.  I think that I have everything installed correctly but when it comes to the NIC adapter - I can't get it to work.  It tells me to go the the Network Adapters and right click.  In the device manager, I do not have network adapters listed.  Also, if I try to install Yahoo DSL it says that it can't find the Ethernet.  I know that it is there - what am I not doing.  I have installed the driver at least 6 times.  I know there are things that have been forgotten but since I can't get on the internet to research I'm stuck.  Help.  This is very frustrating. 

12K Posts

August 26th, 2004 11:00

Did you reinstall the chipset drivers?

August 26th, 2004 12:00

Ok - then I did do it right.  I have downloaded everything manually from the drivers resource cd.  So far everything else is working except for the ethernet (NIC driver).  I have video, I have sound, etc.  The device manager just shows the other devices as not installed (the yellow ? and the yellow !)  The USB and everything else is installed.  Now what?

I am assuming that the chipset is installed because when I installed the driver it said that it was completed.  I don't know - this is all new to me.  I've never had a computer crash and have to be completely reinstalled.  How do I install the chipset manually?  Any help you can give me is appreciated.  Unfortunately I can't test this right now.  Thanks.

12K Posts

No, the chipset would have to installed separately and would be listed so on your Drivers & Utilities CD.

As far as I know, I have installed all drivers - except for the NIC.  I know that the chipset is done.  All drivers have a checkmark next to them except for the NIC. 

12K Posts

How do you know the chipset is done?  You may have to manually add the NIC thru the Add/Remove Hardware Applet.

12K Posts

August 26th, 2004 13:00

See, the chipset is not listed in the device manager so run it agin, I'll bet you missed it.

August 26th, 2004 13:00

I'll try it again.  Thank you for your help.  Although I do have one question, I still have the phone lines connected to the DSL to the ethernet.  Will that make a difference?  Should I disconnect everything and then try it again?
No Events found!