Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2007 14:00

Need "How-To" on networking home computers

We're getting HugesNet satellite internet in a couple of weeks and I'd like to network our 3 home computers so that we can all use the internet.  We have 3 Dell computers (Dimension 8300, 4300, and 5510) all running Windows XP Home. 

Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere that will show me what we need hardware-wise and how to accomplish this?

Many thanks,
callie

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 6th, 2007 16:00

Satellite connects differently than regular broadband (on the systems I've seen).  Your best option is to contact Hughes and get their suggestions..

June 6th, 2007 20:00

Here's what Hughesnet has to say:

"Yes, you can connect multiple home computers and laptops to a single HughesNet ® Internet connection. Home networking equipment may be required and is not included with your HughesNet system. For network setup, support, and configuration, contact your network hardware manufacturer and/or operating system software developer (HUGHES ® is not responsible for home network configuration or management).
Home networks are not included or supported by HUGHES ® technical support."

I kinda took that to mean that we're on our own? I'd really rather try to do it myself, if it's not terribly difficult, rather than have to pay a tech for equipment and set-up.

Tia,
Callie

795 Posts

June 6th, 2007 21:00

calicocallie,

With today's satellite systems, there is no real difference vs. DSL or cable broadband.  The satellite internet system will come with a special HughesNet satellite modem.  You will need to get a wired or wireless router.  Either type provides for the connection of 4 wired PCs and a wireless router can handle another 250 wireless PCs.  Since all your PCs are desktops, they already have wired network adapters.  Even the 4300 should (mine does.)  But if you don't want to run cables to all the PCs you can get wireless network adapters for them.  One PC, usually the one closest to the modem and router, should connect using a wired ethernet connection, so you can configure the router - especially the wireless settings.  Wired or wireless all the PCs will belong to the same network and will be able to share the satellite connection and preform File and Printer Sharing.

Routers from Linksys, Belkin, Netgear and D-link are all good and reasonably priced.  I prefer Linksys.  If you are thinking of making some of the PCs wireless, Unless you expect a lot of file sharing between the 3 PCs, all you need is a standard 802.11g router, such as the WRT54G.  Stay away from proprietary speedboost routers.  802.11g has a nominal speed of 54mbps, much faster than your satellite transmission speed.

The router's WAN/Internet port will connect to the satellite modem using an ethernet cable that comes with the router.  The PCs will connect to the router's LAN ports or wirelessly.  You will need to purchase straight-through ethernet cables for the wired PCs.

Here is a link to the satellite forum at BroadBandReports.com.  There is a ton of information there, both in the forum and the FAQs.  Be sure to understand the HughesNet FAP - Fair Access Policy, which basically says that if you use too much bandwidth they will throttle you back for a while.  Unfortunately, they never define what "too much" is.

Post back if you have additional questions.

12K Posts

June 7th, 2007 11:00

The Microsoft link is probably one of the best and it's all about reading and experimentation.

795 Posts

calicocallie,

The network you will set up with your 3 PCs is called a peer-to-peer network.  All the PCs are peers in the network; there is no "main" or "primary" PC in a peer-to-peer network.

Once the satellite modem has been installed and tested power off the satellite modem.  Connect the router's ethernet WAN port (also sometimes called the Internet port) to the modem's ethernet port using the ethernet cable that comes with the router.  Then with another ethernet cable, connect one of the PC's network interface port to one of the LAN ports on the router (probably the PC closest to the modem and router.)  Power on the modem and wait a minute or two for it to synchronize with HughesNet.  Then power on the router and wait a minute for it to synchronize with the modem.  Finally turn on the PC.  Since you have had dial-up, Open Control Panel - Internet Options.  On the Connections tab choose the "Never dial a connection" option and OK out.  Then start a web browser (like IE or FireFox).  You should have high speed satellite internet access immediately. 

Once that single PC is working, connect the other 2 PCs in the same way and make sure they also have internet access.  Finally, use the links jmwills mentioned to configure File and Printer Sharing.

There should be no need to install any software that comes with the satellite system. 

Message Edited by _Paladin on 06-07-2007 08:02 AM

jmwills,

Thank you so very much for all the links! just the type of info I need to figure all this out. Of course, it could never be as simple as "connect A to modem, connect A to B, connect A to C and you're set". Looks like I'll be spending a good bit of time reading and filtering all the info before I get everything going.

Again, many thanks,
Callie

Paladin,

Thank you for the info and the link to the Hughesnet forum. I spent a good deal of time browsing the posts there, especially those about the Fair Access Policy. Seems the forum posts are fairly split between those who think there's not enough access and those who are satisfied.  Since we are a pretty rural household with, at present, only one 14.4kbps dial-up, I think we can learn to live with the FAP in exchange for the faster speeds. So far, Hughesnet is the only alternative available to us that I have found. (No cable/DSL availability).

Does it matter which of the computers is set up as the one with the primary network connection? The three we have vary in RAM and harddrive size and I'm sure in other ways even though they are all Dell and running XP. Also, should we get the satellite connection set up BEFORE networking the computers? Or network first and then get the satellite connection?

Many, many thanks for all your assistance!
Callie
No Events found!