Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2018 20:00

Firmware update for D6000 docking station failure

Tonight 12/30/2018 - I ran update utility Dock_D6000_FW_Updater_A02_73F77.exe on my D6000 purchased new when I got my system with a date code on the back of June 2017. The utility connected via the USB-C connection and froze mid update about a third of the way through the update and bricked the dock in that the computer was no longer recognized by the computer when connecting via USB-C. I have a picture of the freeze because I know that firmware updates don't play nice if they fail. Next step was to call support.

Three calls to three different support teams each of which required that I reexplain the issue and reprovide my express code to see if I was covered. The focus of support was all about seeing if I had a warranty and not addressing the reason that I was calling. About mid way through the dialog with the second rep I asked the rep if they could help me or not and what was the cost, because up until that point no material support was provided. The express code on my Latitude 7280 system in good for another two years, however the dock isn't supported. The final support rep offered a new dock for $40 more than the cost of Amazon then had the audacity to tell me that Dell stands behind their products as a reason that I should purchase from him...I let him know that if that where the case I would not be in a situation needing to repurchase when the cause of the problem was a firmware package that failed to update and left the dock unusable.

Update 12/31 - I tried the same firmware update again tonight this time connecting the dock to the computer via the USB cable rather than the USB-C. Thankfully this approach worked and I am back on my feet again!

4 Posts

April 9th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for this. I tried to update my D6000 via USB-C and it also hung. Switched to USB and it worked. That really should be in the instructions.

1 Message

September 5th, 2019 08:00

Thank you this solution worked like a charm, use USB-A instead of USB C.

11 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 14:00

I have an XPS 13 9370 laptop that has no USB-A ports.  I have plugged the USB-A connector into a USB-A-to-USB-C converter to run the firmware update.  I was successful with an update on one D6000 dock last week using the same method, though I had to run the process six times until all portions were updated. 

I'm attempting to update a different dock now and have had no success.  The first update attempt froze about 1/3 of the way through.  The second update attempt failed to initiate.  The message provided by the software is "Please check D6000 updater notice" and that's after the initial message is that no D6000 dock is detected.

1 Message

May 25th, 2020 03:00

I have totally the same process at the beginning: 

a) the firmware update process stopped at 1/3 using the type-c interface. The dock turned to a brick.

b) I changed to type-A interface and then updated successfully.

PS:I am not using a DELL notebook ( a LG Gram notebook with thunderbolt interface ).

but the final result is quite different:

the USB hub in D6000 dock is still working. But network interface and all the three display interfaces can not work anymore.

Can anybody help me? Thanks .

May 5th, 2021 08:00

Just a thought but try this too.

DisplayLink Dock Driver 9.3.3324.0

Community Manager

• 

54.8K Posts

May 5th, 2021 12:00

FYI,

The Installation instructions found on the Dell Universal Dock (D6000) Firmware Update Utility page do state USB, not USB Type-C.

Capture.JPG

1 Message

May 16th, 2021 00:00

@gnashvbThank you so much for posting this solution! It saved my day and my money as I was already planning to go for a Belkin docking station!

For the record... It's AWFUl! that those guys at Dell Customer Service provide such a horrible support to their customers! Seriously! It's like an injured-bleeding person going to a hospital asking for help and them saying: "First we need to verify that you have full-paid health insurance"! That doesn't happen..... right?

1 Message

May 17th, 2021 20:00

We've tried this on a number of our D6000 and not one has worked successfully, all stall at the same point, most are bricked, although they work to some extent afterwards and will be be needing to put in warranties/replacements for them.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2021 01:00

USB-C is a type of USB, if your documentation was clear it would specify the exact type of USB required ("USB2.1, Type-A plug" for example). Additionally, if your upgrade software was well developed it would check for these requirements and warn the user not to continue if they were not satisfied.

1 Message

August 4th, 2021 00:00

This solution is quite good, it saved me a lot of time and money!

cookie clicker

September 16th, 2021 05:00

Hello, I have a problem with the Dell D6000 upgrade. The process just stops almost at the very end, although everything is done according to the instructions(the docking station is connected via USB-A).progress.png I tried it on different computers, with different operating systems (Win 7 x64 and Win 10 x64). I also left it for the whole night, in the hope that the process would end, but all in vain. After closing the application and rebooting, the docking station works only through USB-A and does not react in any way to connecting via USB-C to my Vostro 5410. The second screenshot shows the version of the docking station after a failed upgrade.vers.png

October 8th, 2021 13:00

2021 and just ran into this problem. Dock was stuck in the update at maybe 98% over night and Windows throughout the whole thing sounded like something was constantly be plugged in and then unplugged. I took a chance and closed the window, disconnected the dock from both the laptop and its power supply, put the USB-A adapter on as you suggested, and gave it another shot. It went through the progress bar much faster, although it did seemingly get stuck for a while on "Updating Parade converter" with the progress bar totally filled. That ended up being a visual bug, as when I attempted it again the program confirmed that the firmware had been updated already. Thank you for sharing your experience!

October 8th, 2021 13:00

Your updater seems to be a different version than I and the original poster used. The general look is the same, but at the top mine says D6000 Updater A00_20180105, and the controller number it brought mine to was 0017.

I'm pretty sure the never fully finishing is a visual bug in the installer. Does the USB-C work after disconnecting both the USB and the power to the dock, and then restarting the computer before plugging the dock back in and connecting it to the laptop? All signs point to you successfully updated the firmware. The instructions on the Dell site for the install state the disconnections and reboot are required.

October 9th, 2021 00:00

Yes, you have fully described my situation. Unfortunately, unplugging the docking station and restarting the laptop did nothing. Each time the update ends in the same place and with the same sounds. Connecting to USB-C does not wake up the dock from sleep mode (LED glows amber). But I will try again, all of a sudden it will work out. Thank you for your answer, unlike support, you try to understand the situation and help!

No Events found!