Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2011 17:00

After power failure, no wired connectivity

Hi!

After a recent power outage while my PC was in sleep mode, I don't have wired (Ethernet) connectivity.  Please help me restore connectivity.  Thanks!

Details:

Dimension E510
XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, SP3

I have never had an issue with wired connectivity on this PC after coming out of sleep mode.  Of course, the power failure was unusual.

Observations:

- ipconfig /all shows that I have an IP address

- I can ping the DHCP server listed in ipconfig /all and I also can ping google.com.

- I was going to go a restore point set before the power outage.  But, somehow system restore had gotten turned off.  :emotion-10:  Oh, well.  I did go ahead and turn system restore back on.

Things I've already tried that did not solve the issue:

- Reboot

- Uninstall/reinstall the network adapter driver.  Device Manager says the network adapter card is working properly.

- Looked for an updated network adapter driver on Dell's website.  Turns out that I have the latest driver already.

- Followed many of the steps from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

- Checked McAfee Security Center firewall permissions list to see if something got changed.  Everything looked okay.  Also disabled the firewall just to be sure,

- Disabled SafeEyes internet filter.

- Reset the router.  Also swapped router ports with a known good PC.  The known good PC still had connectivity, the affected PC (the E510) did not.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2011 04:00

jkwheeler,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Sorry for the delay, has been a busy work week at my job.

Take care,

Rick

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 29th, 2011 19:00

A power failure could have meant a power surge frying the port.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 30th, 2011 02:00

jkwheeler,

Power of your isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any). Wait 30 seconds, then power on the isp modem/router. Power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart your computer. Try to connect.

What happens?

Rick

36 Posts

November 30th, 2011 03:00

Rick and ieee488:

Thanks for responding!

One thing I did not make clear in my original post is that while I can ping successfully various IP addresses from the command line, I cannot surf the web using IE or Firefox.  IE says it cannot connect to the web page.

Now, on to Rick's instructions.  I just disconnected power from my router and my cable modem.  I let both stand for >30 sec before powering back up.  Also restarted the affected PC.

I get the same symptoms as before.  Can ping DHCP server and google.com from the command line but cannot surf via IE or Firefox.

I also moved the Ethernet cable of the affected PC to another known good port on the router.  Same results.

Could my Ethernet card be fried?  I would think if it was fried that I would not have an IP address and that I would not be able to ping anything from the command line.

jkwheeler

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 30th, 2011 07:00

I didn't bother pinging or anything when the Gigabit Ethernet port on my Dell Precision M6300 that was hit in a thunderstorm.

I did the reset of the cable modem and the router and tried a different cable, and I still couldn't get online.

One thing I did find was that the router port that the M6300 was connected to at the time also went bad.

I debugged everything using a laptop that was offline at the time.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 30th, 2011 07:00

jkwheeler,

Leaving for work, soon. Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Check your router and make sure it's set for channels 1, 6 or 11, I use channel 11.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, try running Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here. At the bottom of the list, see what network cards is listed. If the network card is listed, then it might be a setting to look for.

Also try...

start, control panel, network and sharing center, your connection, properties. Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6, then click on properties for each. Have your settings match mine.

Also try...

Winsock2 How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Rick

36 Posts

November 30th, 2011 09:00

Rick,

Device manager says the adapter is enabled and working properly.  Also enabled in BIOS.

Channels on the router do not apply as I am using a wired Ethernet connection, not WiFi.

I'm running XP so I cannot get the system information the way you suggest.  Is there a way to get it from XP?  Perhaps I can send a screenshot.

My TCP/IP settings already matched yours.

I had a look at the Winsock2 procedure.  Looks pretty straightforward.  I'm working at my job now.  I hope to have time to do that procedure in the evening in the next few days.  Stay tuned.

Thanks for your help!

jkwheeler

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 30th, 2011 10:00

Did you reset the cable modem and router in the proper order? The cable modem must be powered on first and wait until all the lights are working normally. That could take 1 or 2 minutes. Then power up the router and wait until those lights are working OK. Then turn on the computer.

36 Posts

November 30th, 2011 16:00

Rick,

I'm surfing the web on the affected PC!  In fact, I'm posting from it instead of my other good PC.  :emotion-2:

I followed the Winsock2 procedure.  First, I followed the manual steps to determine whether the Winsock2 key was corrupted.  It did not seem to be corrupted.

At the bottom of the Winsock2 article is a reference to Article 936211.  In that article, I followed the procedure to reset the Winsock Catalog.  That is, on the command line, type

netsh winsock reset

That did the trick.  :emotion-2:

Unless you have another recommendation, we can close this issue.

Thanks for your help!

jkwheeler

No Events found!