Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2021 19:00

U4919DW, Precision 5540, WD19TB, 5120x1440 60Hz issue

I have a Dell Precision 5540 connected via TB to a Dell WD19TB dock. I am running a display port to the U4919DW. I am unable to get 60Hz at 5120x1440. From everything I have read and been told this should be possible. Any tips on getting this to work? All drivers for dock, monitor and laptop are up to date.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 10th, 2021 08:00

@mhubbard419  Ok, so 5120x1400 60 Hz is confirmed via direct USB-C, but still stuck on the dock?  I'd still be curious as to what happens with the built-in HDMI 2.0 output, but now that you've got 5120x1440 60 Hz confirmed in at least one scenario, I can think of two possibilities that would account for the dock being limited to 30 Hz:

• Theory #1: Your WD19TB is operating in USB-C backward compatibility mode rather than native Thunderbolt mode, which with your system would mean it only has access to 25% of the video bandwidth it should have in TB3 mode (and half what it would need for single 5120x1440 60 Hz).  Check Thunderbolt Control Panel to make sure it shows up as a Thunderbolt device and that it's approved.  I've seen people miss this before, and some other places didn't even have the Thunderbolt software installed.
  • Theory #2: You actually got a regular WD19.  I wouldn't normally suggest this, but just in the last week I had two people have trouble with a "WD19TB" that turned out to be caused by the fact that they got a regular WD19 even though they had ordered and paid for a WD19TB.  The easiest way to check this is to look at the back of the dock.  Do you see a downstream TB3 port off on its own at the edge of the dock, near where the system cable attaches?  If not, you don't have a WD19TB.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 9th, 2021 20:00

@mhubbard419  Try this patch to enable 5K resolution.

February 10th, 2021 04:00

Thanks @jphughan. I downloaded the patch and it states it has been added to the registry but nothing else happens. I have been able to achieve the 5120x1440 but only at 30Hz.

• 

25.4K Posts

February 10th, 2021 04:00

To ensure the security of your information, please edit your public post and delete any of your Dell private data (service tag number, order number, etc.).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 10th, 2021 06:00

@mhubbard419  Have you tried a different DisplayPort cable just in case it's a cable issue?  5120x1440 requires DisplayPort 1.2 or better, and some older DisplayPort cables won't support that.  Otherwise, have you tried the other DP output on the dock?  That shouldn't make a difference, but you may as well if you haven't already.

And just to confirm, you don't have any OTHER displays connected to the dock right now, do you?  If so, you might have to use a different combination of outputs on the WD19TB in order to make full use of the video bandwidth coming into the dock.  The WD19TB is not infinitely flexible in how it allocates video bandwidth from the system, so if you're trying to run some other display as well, you might have the two of them sharing only half of the total bandwidth coming in from the system.

February 10th, 2021 07:00

@jphughanI have not tried another DP cable. The current cable was purchased in Sept of last year and is a DP 1.4. I have tried swapping ports on the dock as well as hooking up via HDMI with the same result of 5120 x 1440 @ 30hz.

This is the only monitor I have hooked up to the dock.

I also attempted hooking up the laptop directly to the monitor via usb-c and HDMI with the same resolution result. Is there a setting on the laptop that needs to be adjusted for output?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@mhubbard419  Ok, if the USB-C to HDMI cable was rated for HDMI 2.0 (some early ones weren't), then that should also have worked.  And actually, since the Precision 5540 is the sister system of the XPS 15 7590, its built-in HDMI output is rated for HDMI 2.0, so if you have an HDMI 2.0 cable, I'm curious what happens if you connect that way.  If none of that works, try just performing a factory reset of the display using its onscreen menu interface.  Sometimes that cures strange bugs like that.  Otherwise, this shouldn't be necessary with any of the connection options you've tried, but what happens if you configure 5120x1440 60 Hz as a custom resolution in Intel Graphics Control Panel / Command Center and try to force it?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@mhubbard419  Sorry, I misread your earlier post.  I thought you said "USB-C to HDMI" but I see that you said "USB-C and HDMI".  So in that case, it seems you've tried both DP and HDMI outputs on the dock, and DP, HDMI, and USB-C inputs on the display, and none of them are delivering the expected result?  ALL of those should work.  I'm still curious what happens after a factory reset on the display and the custom resolution, but if that doesn't solve the issue either, the next variable that would be good to isolate would be the system in general vs. the display.  Do you happen to have access to any other laptop that would be capable of running that display at 5120x1440 60 Hz?  Any laptop that has an HDMI 2.0 output or a USB-C output that supports video would work for this, although in the latter case you'd need a USB-C to DP or USB-C to HDMI cable/dongle.  The WD19TB would only run 5120x1440 60 Hz when working with an actual Thunderbolt system or a USB-C system that specifically supported DP 1.4 rather than the much more common 1.2.  Otherwise, I realize this is less likely, but if you happen to have access to another 5120x1440 60 Hz display to test your system with, that would isolate a variable as well.

@jphughanlooks like the sent me a regular WD19 by the label on the dock.

@jphughan  I factory reset the display with the same result. I plugged the laptop directly into the display via USB-C and using the Intel graphics control panel was able to get 5120 x 1440 @60hz. When I plug the laptop back into the WD19TB and open the Intel graphics utility, 5120 x 1440 shows up but I do not have the option for 60hz in the drop down only 29 and 30. Appears to be an issue with the dock possibly?

@jphughanThank you for the help. I have a replacement for this dock due for delivery today. Hopefully they have shipped the correct model this time.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 10th, 2021 10:00

@mhubbard419  Ok, well if you find that your replacement is a WD19TBS rather than a TB, then there are USB audio adapters like this one that might work for you in case you can't get your hands on a regular WD19TB.

@jphughanGreat information to know! I have a speaker system that uses the 3.5mm jack on my desk set up, I looked at the new docks and couldn't tell what the real difference was between what I had now.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@mhubbard419  Could be.  The entire WD19 dock family has been replaced with new models that add an "S".  The only difference is that the 3.5mm headset jack has been removed.  Apparently there's some major semiconductor shortage in the industry that affects those connectors or maybe the chip that runs them, which prevented Dell from making new docks and caused their order backlog to get huge, so they introduced new models that don't have that connector.  I guess it makes sense.  Many business users probably have no need for that connector if they're using USB-based audio solutions (soundbars or USB headsets) or just using the speakers and mic built into the laptop itself.

@jphughanya I noticed yesterday the WD19TB doesn't show on the website any more and has been updated with new models, possibly part of the issue maybe. Thanks again.

No Events found!